Interconects

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Eric,

What RF effects do you notice, apart from loudly obvious breakthrough ?.

Radio breakthrough was never a problem for me other than with a very sensitive MC catridge headamp.
Changing the layout solved it.
YMMV.:)

What you may notice with well shielded I/C cable is a lessening of electronic hash giving a deeper, wider soundstage.
The acoustical environment of the recording venue becomes more easily discernable, all in all the music becomes more enjoyable, less electronic, if you like.
Again, this could be system/environment depending...

Have you tried making non-directional cables ?.

I always pay attention to that but it's a rather time consuming business unless you buy the raw wire on a spool, of course.

BTW, plain enamelled wire (magnet wire) works very well and is cheap too.
Should be fine for a star quad...probably a bit stiff and it may require some protective sheathing.

Please, let us know what you think after your gave the shielding a try.

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank,

A good friend of mine even shields his speakercables this way and claims an improvement in sound quality

I totaly agree with your friend. I'v used the Audioqwest midnight 3 and the siltech G3 and Kimber monocle XL but the best cable turned out to be the one I bought frome a friend who owns a hifi shop. It's a sliver plated shielded twisted pair cable with teflon insulation. This is the best sounding cable I'v ever listen to.
My partner does not listen very often due to fast listening fattigue caused by the extreme High-end gear I use to have.

Now she listen more often and enjoy every seccond of it.
The system: VRDS 25X, Oracle Delphi/IKEDA IT-345, ESL's all mine.
Spectral DMC 12, Plinius SA-102 From the hi-fi store. (a Friend)

If I manage to make a picture, Ill post it for you guy's.

Regards,

Audiofanatic ;)

P.S. I forgot the Shelter 901 MC !

Audiofanatic ;)

Attachments

• shelter 901.jpg
    shelter 901.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 343
fdegrove said:
Hi Eric,
What you may notice with well shielded I/C cable is a lessening of electronic hash giving a deeper, wider soundstage.
The acoustical environment of the recording venue becomes more easily discernable, all in all the music becomes more enjoyable, less electronic, if you like.
Again, this could be system/environment depending...
Please, let us know what you think after your gave the shielding a try.
Cheers,;)

I am getting a very nicely deep and wide soundstage at present (surround too), and delightful center imaging too - extensive and sensible room treatment helps all round of course.
I am living in a radio quiet environment, and running an isolation transformer (2kVA), mains filter (15A rated) and variac (3kVA).
I had my sound engineer student friend around today (he has worked for several years doing live sound - the degree course is a formality for him and he does have superbly discriminating ears), and he loves the present interconnects, and commented that there is no glare at all, and the depth and width imaging are superb.
When I told him of forum members saying that they cannot hear differences in cables he laughed his head off, and added "What, are those turkeys deaf or something ?.
The wire that I used is tin-plated (only found this out when I came to do the terminating - Doh), and to my ear just that tiny little bit dullish sounding perhaps.
The next ones will be plain copper and shielded, and I'll see what I get.

Cheers, Eric.

Re: LOVE OVER GOLD.

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Since I'm often much nicer to animals than to people...

Copyright: Jan Allaerts.

Entirely handmade in Belgium.

Hi Frank,

What do you mean with the above?

You don't have to be nice to me;) Frank If you don't want to, aslong as you are to animals I'll be very happy. Thanks!

BTW. Nice hand made MC you have there, did you try it out / compair it to an otherone? and if so, how does it sound?

:bigeyes: Totaly ot of topic:bigeyes: sorry guys.

Audiofanatic;)

José
[/list]

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:Re: LOVE OVER GOLD.

Hi,

What do you mean with the above?

My twisted way of making you drool over all that splendor....

BTW. Nice hand made MC you have there, did you try it out / compair it to an otherone? and if so, how does it sound?

Sure, and not just me.
If you care to vist Jan Allaerts site:

J.ALLAERTS.

Too me personally, it's the best MC I've ever heard or had.
Just don't ask the price.:rolleyes:

I'd never heard about the Shelter cartridges, did a google and it turns out to be much appreciated by the vinyl addicts.

To get back on topic:

Has anyone compared solid core to multi-strand wire?
What are the observations?

Eric,

Our national (used to anyway) telecoms company Belgacom uses a cable that may fit the bill for you:

It uses four colourcoded solid-core copper conductors + one bare copper wire of the same diameter as the others.
Looks like 0.6mm to me but haven't measured.
The bare copperwire is probably used as a drain wire.
The insulation feels like some polyvinyl to me, I could give you the reference for it but I doubt it would be helpful...looks like a rebrand job.

Anyways, it should be easy enough to find a similar one at Belden & Co.:)

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank,

Thanks so much for telling me about the Jan Allaerts MC.
I went to google and found his site. What a guy! He makes nice art!
BTW, I've bin working and saving for more than 10 (ten) years, to buy these hifi gears second hand. I just wanted to shear my experience with you guys, I was not showing off, or give you the impresion that I have or own more than you guys.

(Ik kan heel wat hebben, ik waardeer 't oprecht)

Audiofanatic ;)

Using The ONE Length Of Wire Is The Trick

Hi Frank
Has anyone compared solid core to multi-strand wire?
What are the observations?
Yeah, in my experince, multi-strand can sound 'noisey' or 'scattered' when compared to solid strands.
This 'noise' or 'scattering' can inhibit imaging (all kinds) and add an unpleasant 'dirt' to the whole thing in my experience.

It uses four colourcoded solid-core copper conductors + one bare copper wire of the same diameter as the others.
Thanks, but I am expressly using the one strand of the one colour and type of wire so that the copper and insulation are coming from the ONE common source.
I am very deliberately avoiding the variables of differing wire source ingots, and differing dielectric properties due to added dyes.
This is to preserve complete consistency and balancing (cancellation) of any directional properties, and I would say that this is well achieved in the present examples that I am currently listening to.
It will be a few days before I get to make a plain copper pvc insulated telephone wire pair, and at present I don't have any suitable gauge magnet wire, though I expect this is probably the best (most neutral) sounding.

Eric.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Yeah, in my experince, multi-strand can sound 'noisey' or 'scattered' when compared to solid strands.

In my experience too, even for things like powercords.

Solid core sounds much more cohesive as if "cut from one piece of cloth".

Multistrand seems to suffer from a diffuse, foggy sound in comparison.
This may be due to microphony, probably diodic effects as well.

This is to preserve complete consistency and balancing (cancellation) of any directional properties, and I would say that this is well achieved in the present examples that I am currently listening to.

I concur with your theory, in the case of my own cables the poliimide insulated wires are always from the same spool so that amounts to the same as you do.

and at present I don't have any suitable gauge magnet wire, though I expect this is probably the best (most neutral) sounding

Take your time, I use mostly this poliimide insulator (AKA Kapton TM).
Peter Quortrop from Audionote U.K. is said to prefer polyurethane .
I haven't compared those but the Kapton is a pain to strip whereas chemicals to strip enamelled wire are much easier to work with and readily available.

Looking forward to hear your results.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

What diameter Kapton insulated wire are you using ?.

1mm.
Mainly as speaker wire and it's silver as well.
For interconnect I use 0.6mm PTFE coated...you don't like that, I know.
I'm not sure if my friend stocks other diameters, I can ask.
If it's copper you need than that should not be any trouble, he can order that at the factory if not already in stock.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.