Instant Crossover Prototyping

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok pictures have been fixed, let me be a little more descriptive about my setup. I have a Yamaha home theater reciever that I have several devices connected to, including the audio outputs from my PC's Fortissimo III card. From there I use the stereo pre-outs of the reciever as input to the "line-in" of the Audigy 2 card. KX splits that input up into high, mid, and low and they get output to my 3-channel gainclone amplifier. The gainclone amplifier is just a power amp and has no pots attached to it, I adjust the volume through the reciever since all material entering into the Audigy 2 card goes through the reciever first. I use the Audigy 2 card as kind of like a stand-alone crossover, my PC never outputs any audio directly through the Audigy 2 card, it always comes out through my Fortissimo III card, through the reciever, and in to the Audigy 2 card through the line-in. I also have an SACD player connected to the reicever and I get the same noise/hum when I use that as input to the Audigy 2 card.

I set the DSP up like you described and configured both the "src" and "k2lt" modules correctly, but I can't seem to make it functional. Below are shots of the areas that I made changes. Thank again.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Hi m0tion
The AC97 analog input on the Audigy is a bit noisy but not grossly so. Ground loops, probably. Not my area of expertise. I see a terrible circle from the pc out to the Yamaha receiver and back to the pc.
I suspect that disconnecting the fortissimo card from the Yamaha receiver will break the loop. Worth trying as a test.
Do you use the pc for any audio sources, or just as a crossover?

I play DVDs (AC3 out of optical output) and MP3s/FLAC files from the PC outputed via the Fortissimo III card. I wanted to be able to keep that functionality, but also to have audio from other sources like my SACD player or cable box processed via my Audigy 2. I disconnected the connection from the Fortissimo III to the reciever and the hum was unchanged. Still not exactly sure whats going on =).

Ok, I've messed around with this thing a bit more, this problem is definately not related to the KXDrivers. There may be some sort of ground loop going on (as you mentioned). I installed the standard creative drivers just to be safe, then tried connecting the Audigy output directly to my power amps, and the Audigy input to the output of my Fortissimo. This resulted in some pretty loud hum. Then I tried the opposite, connecting the Fortissimo outputs directly to the power amps, and the Fortissimo inputs directly to the Audigy outputs. This resulted in the same hum, but it was not as loud. I'm headed out of town for a while so I'll have to mess with it a bit more, but another this I've discovered is even when it's not connected to anything if you un-mute the line-in's on either card they don't sound very clean. I'm wondering if anyone knows anyway to help eliminate noise when you are using the line-in on a pc soundcard.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.