Inside Sony AVD-S10

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ChuckT said:
Not sure why you want use your receiver as a pre, I don't have the data sheet so I can't say.

Thank you for answering.

I need a receiver with pre-outs because I already own 6 power amplifiers which are connected directly to my Sony SACD/DVD player. All these function well without a receiver.

Recently I purchased a high definition cable box which has SPDIF output but no internal Dolby decoder. To get surround sound from this cable box, I need an external Dolby decoder.

It is impossible to get a good quality Dolby decoder without buying a receiver. To keep using my excellent external power amplifiers, I need a receiver with pre-outs.

Any receiver with pre-outs also includes good quality power amplifiers which increases the cost. I don't need extra good quality power amplifiers.

The best solution for me is a low cost receiver with a good quality Dolby decoder and low quality power amplifiers and with pre-outs. This does not exist in the marketplace, so I must modify a low cost receiver to add pre-outs.

Your thread here about the AVD-S10 receiver included a photo of the CXD9646 dual power amp chip. I had created another thread elsewhere about creating pre-outs and a diagram of the CXD9646 was kindly posted there by Nigel Goodwin. So I decided that I wanted to purchase a Sony receiver where I live with this chip and I also wanted to know more about this chip, so I sent a message to you.

Today I have discovered that the CXD9646 chip is not the ideal chip for me to use because it operates with an input signal in PWM format and this format is not the best choice for creating pre-outs.

Fortunately for me, the STR-DG500 receiver is a good choice for me because it is low cost and it is easier for me to modify to create pre-outs. It does not use the CXD9646 chip.

So I will no longer do more research on the CXD9646 chip.

I thank you again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.