Input transistor shoot out.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK. I am starting a search for methods to measure base spreading resistance. I think I'd go with Fairchild too.

If you want to find base resistance values relevant for noise calculations, you will have to measure the noise level at a very low source impedance (0 ohm, for example) and a fairly high bias current (say 10 mA). What equipment have you got?

If you manage to design a phono preamplifier such that it works with different input transistors, you could of course use the preamplifier itself for relative measurements. Just try different options, record the output noise and listen.

Last edited:
If you want to find base resistance values relevant for noise calculations, you will have to measure the noise level at a very low source impedance (0 ohm, for example) and a fairly high bias current (say 10 mA). What equipment have you got?

If you manage to design a phono preamplifier such that it works with different input transistors, you could of course use the preamplifier itself for relative measurements. Just try different options, record the output noise and listen.

Well, I have the usual stuff, voltmeters. Power supplies. Sig gens, a pico scope digital O-scope. What would I need extra? It seems from what Ive seen that I could measure rb with this. I may try the idea of just seeing what works best. But, I'd like to get a MC cartridge to make the measurements truly valid.

If your oscilloscope has a spectrum analyser function, all you may need extra is a preamplifier if its sensitivity is not enough. If it hasn't got a spectrum analyser function, you need a filter as well to get a defined measurement bandwidth. A couple of resistors of different values also come in handy; by measuring total noise at different source resistances, you can apply some mathematics and derive what part is voltage noise, what part current noise and what part the predictable noise of the resistors.

More Toshiba low-noise PNP transistors

2SA1587 is about the best I can find now that is still made.

Speaking of single PNP transistors, you could consider Toshiba's 2SA1163 and 2SA1312. These are 150mW devices rather than 100mW, so may offer more design flexibility than the 2SA1587.

Among dual PNPs, Toshiba makes the HN4A51J (300mW 5-pin package with shared base), HN4A06J (300mW 5-pin package with shared emitter), HN3A51F (300mW 6-pin package).

Toshiba even offers the HN4B06J, but as it is a PNP + NPN in a 300mW 5 pin package with a shared emitter, it won't be the easiest transistor to design with.

I believe that Toshiba continues to manufacture a selection of low-noise NPN transistors also.

hth, jonathan carr

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.