Input device protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I'm in the the process of building some of the DIY amps on this site, so far it going great, one finished, one in progress. When I am testing the amp modules I use either my CD-player, cellphone or laptop - but I am worried if something goes wrong/shorts in the amp-module that excessive current/voltage is going directly to my input device, and most likely destroying the input device.

My question is: Is there some way of protecting the input device (circuit, some kind of fuse, isolation transformer etc. ) ?

This will only be in the testing phase - so no special requirements for audio quality. :)

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
That is an unlikely scenario for any typical amplifier unless you yourself shorted (say) the supply voltage directly to the input.

If that's a possibility then the best protection is a series resistor at the input, and diode (zener) clamping on the source component side of things. You should also add a non polarised coupling cap of voltage rating equal or higher than either rail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.