Initial thoughts - 3-Way active floor stander as first project...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yep, when I first asked about this the NaO Note II RS wasn't out and therefore not a contender, but having looked at it - it looks exactly like the answer to my question!

However, has anyone built them or heard them? - I have no experience of Dipoles (having the focal CMS65 currently as my reference) and can't find much on the web - anyone got any build blogs?!?

I would go down the ultra-frugal route to get the hang of it first with little risk. That's what I've done.

1. Buy some good old secondhand British speakers (even £30 may get you something decent), and bypass the passive crossovers. If the speakers are ported, you can even run the cables in through the port, terminated in crimp spade connectors that can attach directly to the drivers, so you won't even have to make any permanent changes.
2. Buy three secondhand stereo amps at £20-£40 each.
3. Buy a Creative X-Fi sound card for about £30 and, if you need it a quiet desktop PC (inc. Windows XP) for about £40.

These prices are perfectly realistic if you shop around.

Then, use off-the-shelf software to do the measuring and implement the crossovers. That way, the PC becomes the sole audio source, capable of playing CDs, DVDs, FLAC files, web-streaming etc. and no unnecessary conversions.

Even if you blow the whole lot up, you've only lost a few quid, and you can upgrade gradually, buying and selling stuff as you go along.

Photo's

To be honest I dont know!
I have kinda given up finding a free site that allows me post decent quality photos... I am going to put up a few web pages with an audio journey kind of layout.
May take me a few weeks!
If you have any particular designs that interest you I might be able to dig something up and post it here if my files are not too big.
Cheers
Derek.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
I'm going to disagree with Sreten and others here. there is nothing wrong with either of the Behringer analogue XO units providing you work with-in their limitations. They are far from perfect but they are very good value for money. Use them below 2 or 300 Hz, say 80 and 250 for use with subs/woofer crossovers for the CX 3400 and between the woofers and mids at around 80 / 150 / 250 if using the smaller unit and use a good passive network for the cross between mid and tweeter
I use mine in this fashion.
Even cheap 2-Way speakers can sound good when you take a lot of the bass/sub bass away to a decent big driver ( as can using a big coil to do a passive.5 sub but that is more hit and miss ) If I was doing this again from scratch I'd be looking for a cheap second hand Behringer unit to start with and then upgrading; I am still to upgrade. LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.