Ingeneous Cell Battery charger

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You still may find a good IC to do the NiMH charging. If you want to charge faste rwith a NiMH you can do a -delta V charge termination that uses a higher constant current and monitors the voltage for the little dip that happens when the cells are fully charged.

I'm gonna need a breather for this one, as it will obviously take some time to do the charging and discharging of the Cell

In the meantime i'll look up IC's, some possible matches that might make for a good NiMH charging unit.

Thanx Grande everyone for all your input thusfar;), and Look out for my next post when i'll have the charging times jotted down!

oops! no times taken yet...

After reading the above given link, I gave the idea of building my own battery charger from discrete components much reconsideration, I've come to understand exactly why it is best to use a specially desighned IC for any battery charging applications. Too much factors has to taken into consideration such as supply voltage,output voltage,heat,Battery condition(age),max output current, fast charge,trickle charge and many, many more...especially YOUR own safety.

having said that
I may go for the 'BQ2004PN', to take care of my battery charging issue, as it delivers a fast charge for single or multiple cells, stable output, runs from 5V(USB for me!!) and includes built-in safety features. The price also doesn't put a hole in my pocket!

Instead of using a Cellphone Battery pack, I can be using either AA cells since they have a Much higher Amp/Hour rating (no use of having a battery pack lasting for only +/- 1Hour!) or the AAA's, for their size, if their Amp/Hour increases in a few months/years time with technology advancements.

It is however, NOT impossible to create your own charger, as confirmed by material within this discussed thread.

thanks guys.

BatteryUniversity is a good resource, however while reading it you need to keep in mind that the person who authored it is in the business of selling battery chargers and conditioners.

I wouldn't expect the capacity of the AAA cells to increase too much. The technology is very mature, and more emphasis seems to be on decreasing the self discharge of the cells, instead of increasing the capacity. The benefit of AA cells is that you can get them all over the place these days.

Good point about the source, but the information is still good, if designing for worst-case or long-term.

I look for ALL form-factors of batteries to go up dramatically when fuel cell technology gets there. Look for a H2 fuel cell in the next couple/few generations of digital cameras. Coming soon after to a AA battery package near you I predict.

No doubt about the information. It is easily the best resource for rechargeable battery information on the web. There are just portions of it that I feel are over-emphasized.

On fuel cells, earlier this month I was at a fuel cell conference where I saw a prototype FC for a professional digital video camera. But I think it will still be a ways off before you see it in consumer gear, past some niche uses. Digital still cameras I think would be a very hard application for a FC becuase of the high current pulses, and the small area for batteries. If fuel cells were further along it would certainly make my job a whole lot easier, but for now it's a Li-Ion world for rechargeable batteries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.