Infra sonic subwoofer design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all,
I have decided upon a subwoofer with following dimensions (internal) excluding the port volume

20”x 15”x 24” = vol. 4.17 cubic ft / 118 liters tuned at 15Hz

1. For round (Single) port : dia. 4” port length = 33.17” volume = 416.61 cubic inch = 0.241 cubic ft
2. For round (Two) ports : dia. 4” each, port lengths = 69.26“ volume = 870 x 2 = 1740 cubic inch = 1.00 cubic ft.
3. For slot port B= 15” H= 2” length = 81.64” volume = 2449 cubic inch = 1.5 cubic ft.
Are my calculations right ????? do I make any sense ?????? if so which design should I go with ????

If I go for the first option will the port noise be high ?

And if I have the box tuned to 15 Hz what will be the upper limit of frequency reproduced with good quality?

Warm regards,
Alex

Same answer. To make 15 Hz audible you need to move a lot of air. Ports with sufficient area will invariably lead to extreme length with high losses. You should consider passive radiators instead of ports or use a transmission line.

By the way, here is a simulation with your 118 l box tuned to 15 Hz. Compare it to the closed box. You get nearly the same frequency response, but the closed box is only half the size, has better step response and group delay. The black line is the theoretically ideal bass-reflex alignment. Bigger box, tuned higher, but the frequency response is flatter and goes lower. The port is still too narrow and too long, but already less so.

17529347kj.jpg

Loudspeaker enclosure calculating with Thiele Small parameter

oops........ should I move to a horn / TL design .....? I read that horns are much better for very low tuned subs.

Alex.
Regarding your last question (yes!), :cool: do you have the space for bjorno project (post #80)? who was so nice to bother to take from his time to give you a fantastic calculation/simulation that you can't find anywhere else adapted to your "special needs" driver and application. If so what are you waiting for?! If not you have to go with the smaller foot prints BR's (or sealed) as was already mentioned in this thread. Take your time and be careful and cautious but also don't start going back and forth, like other members do, ending with high difficulty in further discerning their moving forward. ;) :D
F-3dB=~12.5 Hz

Last edited:
Dear bojorno,

the first schematic on your post is quite clear. But I have doubts regarding the second and third schematics. (Side view) , What are those small circles? and is the port partitioned with two separators ?

regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

FYI:

1. Look at the Picture again.
2. Yes: The Port is partitioned to decrease the Reynolds Number for the Pipe in order to prevent a non laminar Air Flow.

This design should work fine despite the very long Port System.

I've calculated the flow induced attenuation becoming equal to the viscous-thermal counterpart at a frequency of ~46 Hz, and the sum of these will add up to a negligible loss of only ~ 0.1 dB, IE. the attenuation due to the Port losses is solely defined by the amount of added Flow Resistance.

The preferred Pillow-fill that have the lowest Absorption characteristic of all commercial Stuffing types and will show the lowest FR attenuation above 46 Hz.

Be very careful to tease all Port stuffing and the weight of Port fill should be measured to be equal in each of the partitioned Volumes.

b:)

Attachments

• InfinityRef-1262W-DBR_Rev.JPG
    InfinityRef-1262W-DBR_Rev.JPG
    479.8 KB · Views: 162
Dear all,

I am a newbie to this forum. I am an organist and has a virtual pipe organ set up at home . now I want to build a infrasonic subwoofer to reproduce the pedal sounds . the range of sound is around 10-20Hz.

can any one suggest a good woofer specification and enclosure design to for reaching these low frequencies .And also the amp. for powering this subwoofer.

thanks in advance,

Alex.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/168737-night-living-bassheads.html

This sub was a lot of fun. I used a 350watt plate amp and when watching movies it could make the walls flex.

On the downside, the box rattled a lot (should have made it stronger) and I found that music just doesn't have enough bass under 30hz to justify using this thing.

I ended up throwing it away, due to the size and the lack of infrabass in the music I listen to.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/168737-night-living-bassheads.html

This sub was a lot of fun. I used a 350watt plate amp and when watching movies it could make the walls flex.

On the downside, the box rattled a lot (should have made it stronger) and I found that music just doesn't have enough bass under 30hz to justify using this thing.

I ended up throwing it away, due to the size and the lack of infrabass in the music I listen to.
That's a great thread with a lot of info for us noobs, thank you very much :)

I was interested by the part discussing tuning dictated by driver Fs:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/168737-night-living-bassheads-2.html#post2233053

For instance, let's say you want to make a 20hz tapped horn. Just find a woofer with an FS of 28hz.* That's it! Any ol' woofer will do. Sure, QTS and VAS will dictate your box size. But there's nothing from stopping you from using a 6" woofer to get to 20hz. You just have to find one with an FS in the neighborhood of 28hz.

* The figure of 28hz is found by multiplying your target Fb by 1.41. So you'd want a woofer with an Fs of 28hz for a 20hz tapped horn, and if you happen to have a woofer lying around with an Fs of 40hz, it would make a fine candidate for a 28hz tapped horn. This isn't a "hard and fast" rule, but it gets you in the ballpark.

Going from that calculation, the SI HT18's Fs of 17Hz:
Stereo Integrity | HT Subwoofers
18" D2
Re: 3.5 Ohms
Fs: 17 Hz
Qes: 0.41
Qms: 5.8
Qts: 0.38
Le: 3.2 mH
Sd: 117841 mm^2
Vas: 411.9 l
BL: 19.7
Mms: 416 g
Cms: 208.8
Sensitivity (1W/1m): 88.7 dB
Xmax: 22.5mm

Recommended enclosures: 18"
Sealed = 4 ft^3
Ported = 5-6 ft^3 tuned to 20 Hz
Cutout: 16.7"
OD: 18.5"
Mounting depth: 9.5"
Mounting flange to top of surround: 1.5"
Displacement: 0.25 ft^3
or maybe even 15Hz (!):
Data-Bass
Qts: 0.296
Qes: 0.33
Qms: 2.88
Fs: 15 Hz
Res: 3.5 Ω
Le 1khz: 3.86 mH
Sd: 0.115 m2
Vas: 465 liters
Mms: 446.6 grams
Cms: 252 μm/N
BL: 21.14 Tm
BL2/Res: 127.7 N2/W
L/R Time Constant: 1.1 milliseconds
SplSens: 88.62 dB
would seem to infer a possible Tapped Horn tuning of 12Hz or 10.6Hz, if I'm correct? :confused: :eek:

Would that be where you set the HPF or would it be possible to capture a few Hz more below that before cone excursion got crazy?

I am noob and have never tried Akabak or Hornresponse but I'm guessing either of those designs would be monstrously big and potentially destroy your home... :eek: lol

Last edited:
Yeah I think that's why Danley is using car audio subs in some of his products. The car audio subs tend to have an efficiency that's lower than a prosound driver, but also more displacement and a lower FS. It's a nice combination for a home theater tapped horn.

Here's the specs, note that it gives you a F3 of 20hz in the right TH:

Specifications: *Power handling: 1,000 watts RMS *VCdia: 4" *Impedance: 4 ohms per coil *Re: 1.71 ohms *Frequency range: 32-150 Hz *Magnet weight: 260 oz. *Fs: 31.9 Hz *SPL: 93.8 dB 2.83V/1m *Vas: 2.474 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.78 *Qes: 0.79 *Qts: 0.655 *Xmax: 25.65 mm *Dimensions: Overall Diameter: 15.74", Cutout Diameter: 13.85", Mounting Depth: 10.74".

Get 'em while you can, MTX is running out:

t9515-44-mtx-car-subwoofer MTX Audio

would seem to infer a possible Tapped Horn tuning of 12Hz or 10.6Hz, if I'm correct? :confused: :eek:
Would that be where you set the HPF or would it be possible to capture a few Hz more below that before cone excursion got crazy?
Yes, tunings that low are possible, but since the usable range of a TH is only a couple octaves with flat response, tunings that low end up going to only around 50-60 Hz before the nasty upper peaks and dips rear their heads.

The HPF can be set a few Hz below Fb, but usually response is around 3 dB down at Fb for tunings below the driver's Fs, so little or no boost can be used below Fb without seeing excessive excursion.

And yes, 10-15 Hz can resonate wall panels, working nails loose, and cracking sheet rock mud and plaster, as well as making for a general feeling of unease.

The unease becomes more after you see picture frames have fallen and broken glass is littering adjacent rooms :(.

Thank you for the info, both, it sounds like the voices of experience :D lol

I am unsure how my 4x18" sealed build will sound in my room when it gets finished but I am hopeful it will be 'adequate'! I heard an 8x18" the other week - utterly crazy, so much more than you could realistically use everyday but lots of fun nonetheless :D

Last edited:
Dear all,

I have started my build as per bjorno's project 'tailor made for me' . now i need an amplifier for the sub. I already have three LM 4780 chip. I was planning an amp with 360W power with these 4780 chips. am I on the right track?

regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

The load never will go below 9 Ohm from 8 - 80 Hz if a 2 x 24V Transformer with the 2 Amps in bridge configuration:

Maximum available Output Power will be ~89 W/ 8 Ohm and returning ~105dB /1m when placed near Room Corner.

Rec. It's still safe to increase the Transformer to 2 x 28 V (2 x 39.6 V Peak (Bridged Mode/ 9 Ohm Load==> ~107.7W==>~106 dB/1m)).

If I were you I would use two Chips: Each Paralleled then Bridged to allow a low Impedance Load and making it possible to add another Sub(Smaller flanking) in Parallel(>9 Ohm(Easy if a TL type)).

b :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.