Infra infrabass for 400 square meters: How?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At Sun City, in South Africa, there is a "Lost World" area. Part of it is crossed via a large bridge mounted on flexible supports. Periodically it simulates an earthquake. The bridge shakes horizontally at 2 or 3 Hz, courtesy of motor driven drivers - you can feel them spin up and slow down. At the same time, LF rumblings are generated by big subs mounted in concealed enclosures along the sides of the bridge. Finally, higher frequency components are provided by stacks of JBL cabinets in imitation caves near the bridge.

If I were going to generate "infrabass" acoustically, I'd use multiple large high excursion drivers in enclosures with a sharply peaked resonance at, say, 8 Hz. So rather than a smooth response, they would have an "organ pipe" resonance. Feeding them with LF noise rather than a steady tone would produce a quasi-earthquake effect.

The most violent infrabass I have experienced was made by a crane mounted machine that vibrated iron plates into soil for building foundations. the individual plates where 6 m long x1 m wide and probably 10-15mm thick Effectively it made the whole adjacent concrete building vibrate to an extent where I hade a 12kg heavy balance dancing around on the table.
I cannot find the english word for the contraption but here is a picture.
http://www.arkil.dk/Default.aspx?ID=273

Regards
Andreas

I cannot find the english word for the contraption but here is a picture.
Vibrationsteknik

Pile Driver
Pile driver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are used to reduce noise, otherwise they often use a device that runs on fuel and is basically a 2-cycle "reaction engine" that slides on a rod that has a piston attached to it, when combustion occurs, it throws the "engine" up again. Every explosion drives the pile in a bit further.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.