Information Line array speakers for under $40K???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking a Selah line arrays. The problem is I don't think I want to give 3-4' of space so I can have an open baffle design for the one suggested. And I do want to keep the dyanamics and to do that you would need sensitivity to be higher than 88db.

I have been doing more research and some people are using arrays for LCR's , so I was wondering why a narrower directivity is required for HT? Say you had a 17' wide wall and put the left and righ speakers near those walls and obviously placed the center in the center. You are looking at at least a 7' span in between those speakers. Wouldn't that fill the front sound stage instead of having it sound anemic?

And someone mentioned having the arrays for surrounds, would that be a better option than your typical surround speaker?

I like the idea of using maybe 6 inch PVC pipe, with a flat driver mount area (you cut out a 3.5 inch slot the length of the pipe, and screw in rails that the drivers can be screwed to), 3-4 feet high per separately shipable section, designed for stacking (stack two in the home - maybe more in other venues), run all the drivers wideband, Use Dayton ND-90-8 drivers, and build an active EQ box to put ahead of the poweramp, with some user tone adjustments besides the hardwired EQ that compensates for low and high end problems as well as the 3dB/oct. rolloff needed for any line array... Maybe 12 drivers per section... A novice could use a Behringer DEQ2496 to create the EQ if necessary...

To me, the biggest feature of the vertical line array if done properly, is the way it interacts with room acoustics, especially in the lower mid and bass region, where it may have the least boominess (uneven frequency response) anywhere in the listening room, of any speaker there is. Corner horns claim to be this good in this way too, but who has two almost identical corners in their room that can be used for this? I think even in a dedicated theater room, corner horns would still only be optimal on 2 of the 3 axis (what about the up/down axis?). Plus, many of us appreciate the very small footprint of a wideband vertical line array speaker.

To me, the biggest feature of the vertical line array if done properly, is the way it interacts with room acoustics, especially in the lower mid and bass region, where it may have the least boominess (uneven frequency response) anywhere in the listening room, of any speaker there is. Plus, many of us appreciate the very small footprint of a wideband vertical line array speaker.

True,

I built my two-way arrays (48 tweeters/24 five inch woofers) so it would have less of a room interaction than point source. They take up space in my garage so the less they interact with the metal building, the better. I like the wide and tall sound stage, low interaction with the room acoustics and the "big" sound.

They don't have "pin point" sound so I don't see them being a good design for the left/center/right speakers in a HT--the surrounds would be pretty interesting. How you'd get three point sources in the front imaging correctly with 4 to 6 surround arrays is beyond me. Since the lines act differently, it would be quite a challenge to get them to work when mixing the two types together.

If I was going to spend 40K on HT speakers--I'd really like to hear them first! :eek:

If you went with the Murphy Corner Line-Array, I am not sure how you could deal with the centre channel.

The Murphy chap is very helpful and happy to be contacted. He may have a solution already.

For 7.1 you would need 4x Beringher DEQ2496. This would give you some flexibility with the centre channel and the sub. Easy enough to Pre-Out and Pre-In on most Home theatre receivers, I think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.