[INDIA] The Asawari

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
navin said:
What is the Asawari II? bigger, bolder, better?
Certainly smaller, not bigger. I'm making the following changes:
  • smaller depth front-to-back, because I'm doing away with the separate xo chamber and putting the xo inside the main acoustic chamber. This makes it more living-room-friendly.
  • lowering the Fc from about 2800Hz to about 1800-2000Hz.
  • different tweeter: the North D25.
  • a shade smaller acoustic volume compared to the last one, but I doubt this will have any audible effect on the low-end, because my earlier and current alignments both give a Qtc less than 0.7.
The mid-bass drivers remain the same Peerless India Kevlar-cones. The two drivers will be connected in series as before, because each driver has a pretty low Re, and paralleling them would then require a Krell to drive the speaker.

I too am tempted to build a pair of speakers, inspiration courtesy of Tarun. I currently have a pair of Vifa MTM speakers. I want to use the drivers and make a set of HT speakers. With the Peerless India drivers, I plan to make a pair of good towers for two channel audio listening.

The reason I do not want the Vifa MTMs for two channel audio is that I feel that due to their 3mm of max cone excursion, they do not give enough bass. I just want to try something different. I want to try the Kevlar drivers for two channel audio.

I have four Vifa TC18 drivers, two D27TG fabric domes that form the MTM. I also have a pair of Peerless India SR10DT tweeters and a pair of 5.25 inch woofers which are in a pair of bookshelves.

Any inputs from anyone?

Thanks,
Vivek

Vivek said:
Ok. I want to know if it will be worthwhile breaking up my MTMs to use for HT because like I said I want to build a TM tower with a Peerless India Kevlar or polycone driver for two channel audio.
If the only reason to do this is to get extra bass, then maybe just adding a sub-woofer with a high end of 60-80Hz may be easiest? For the higher frequencies, it may be the same whether you do the Vifa drivers or the Peerless Kevlars? I'm guessing, I don't know.

Basically, I can't figure out what you are hoping to gain.

Besides, I am not sure I'd get enough low end extension with just a single Kevlar driver per side. This driver is not one of those heavy-bass hard-hitting midbass units which can kick out a huge wallop all by itself. I think the choice of using two midbass units per side in the Asawari was a good one.

I was generally feeling that the Peerless kevlars would be better than the Vifa TC18s. That is why I wanted to try it out. Part of the reason is that you have had fair success with them. Of course my expectations may be different from yours when it comes to the sound. But I like tight, precise bass that is not too overpowering. I don't mind an MTM speaker if one driver will/ may not give out fair bass.

I also felt that if I am going to build an MTM, I will be left with the Vifa midbasses, which I could use for HT. Anyway, they don't need to put out too much bass since I plan to use two subs.

vivek

Vivek said:
I have four Vifa TC18 drivers, two D27TG fabric domes that form the MTM. I also have a pair of Peerless India SR10DT tweeters and a pair of 5.25 inch woofers which are in a pair of bookshelves.
[/B]

Vivek said:
I was generally feeling that the Peerless kevlars would be better than the Vifa TC18s.

From what I understand you are trying to compare the expected bass output of a Philips 5.25" Kevlar woofer to that of the Vifa TC18. The TC18 has a greater Sd than the 5.25" Philips woofer and the Philips woofer will have to travel about 25% more in Xmax to have the same bass capability as the TC18.

I have a TC18 mated to a 8" Eminence woofer and a D27TG in a tower.

The 8" woofer is fed via a seperate power amp. The power amp get's it's signal from the .1 output of a Marantz SR7000. In the SR7000 the main (rear and center) speakers (TC18+D27) are set to "small".

With this config the system can get loud enough to distub the neighbours.Like Tarun said, I would just add a subwoofer to the TC18.

Originally posted by Vivek I also have the Vifa D27 tweeters. Will they not be better than the Peerless tweeters?
[/B]

the D27 and TC18 will given you something to listen to while you are building the 6.5/5.25/1" WMTMW tower.

BTW why not supplement the TC18/D27 speaker with the 12" Infinty subs. This way the TC18 wont need to reproduce sub 80Hz and should work much better.

I mailed Torvin asking if they can supply some Kevlar drivers from Peerless India. If they can, I will think about rebuilding the tower. If not, I will have to use the Infinity subs to provide the low end for the Vifa MTMs. But again, the problem of proper amplification for the Infinity subwoofers is there.

I was just looking at the choices I have. Torvin mailed back and said they can supply 6.5 inch paper woofers (shielded) or two other 8 inch woofers. The woofers are quite economical.

If I am getting them from Dev, any idea if they will ship properly? The guys seem to be in such a hurry all the time.

I believe the fear of damage in shipment is valid, though Dev Elec has shipped drivers in the past. (They are quite a large dealer, and have stocks in all sorts of large, expensive pro woofers of 15" and 18" diameter from foreign brands.)

Your call, I guess.:(

On the flip side, I am not sure whether the paper-cone woofers that Torvin is offering will be as suitable as the Kevlar, so that's a bigger question which you probably need to settle first.

Hello tcpip
Its July 29th of 2008 and i dont know if you still visit this site and read all the forums..My name if Kamaljit Rai ..i am a pharmacist by profession but a die hard audio fenatic and a speaker lover since last 25 odd years of course i am a 40 year old man and just making both ends meet with my earnings ....I happen to find this site ahd was happy to know what u have gone through making those classy Asawari speakers that for the first time i was so impresed that i cudnt believe my eyes that u have done such a wonderful job...thats true in india we have least options for drivers that are good...since 1984 when i got hands on four audio magazines called Australian Hi-Fi from a newstall that he brought it from where i dont know i have been into speaker love and fow all those years i had not been able to make a good pair of good sounding speakers as in those days there were a couple of good speaker makers like Bolton and Philips..i was so keen in those days that i travelled to delhi and to faridabad and see how Bolton ppl make these drivers and spent a lot of my parents money o building speaker cabnets and on speakers as i was in study ( college) at that time....my younger brother is in USA and has won bids for me for some good Vifa drivers and some kef drivers but same problem the heavyness and the coustom on the packagaes that have left them in USA till now....your find will do good to me a i have contacted jettu bhai and that helps ..since those days it has come from stereo two channels to 5.1 channel..i recently ended up buying a Yamaha RX-V457 reciever amplifier(used)m as i cant afford a new expensive as my savings are limited and i cant afford a new one or cant afford to pay duty if my brother sends it from USA...now i am going to build a 5.1 speaker system and i plan to buy the drivers from jitubhai..so i will need some help from you to tell me some details on how to build a good speaker box and crossover as i am not an ingeener so help would be so much appriciated..thanks
Kamal

kamal6767 said:
Its July 29th of 2008 and i dont know if you still visit this site and read all the forums..My name if Kamaljit Rai ....
Good to hear about your exploits and projects. :)

I must warn you about a couple of things. It's relatively easy to build a speaker someone else has designed. It's relatively more difficult to design your own speaker -- it demands a deeper knowledge of some engineering concepts as well as investments in experimentation and trials. I've done all that for the Asawari, and 100% of the details of my design are available on my Website.

However, it won't be easy for a less knowledgeable person to design a similar speaker. I can help you if you get stuck, and so can many others on these forums. I learned so much this way. But for that to happen, you need to be willing to begin the process of learning, walking the same path that other designers have walked. You need to read Vance Dickason, experiment with Speaker Workshop, get yourself a measurement microphone, build an impedance measurement jig, do some trials to measure impedance and SPL for some speakers, and so on. Only then can you design a new pair of speakers.

Unless you're competent and willing to do this, I suggest that you not try to build something as per your own design. You should build something already pre-designed. There are many designs and even kits available on the Net. Get the drivers for those designs, and do the building yourself.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.