Incredible quality amplifier by Graham, prepare your ears for it

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well Graham, people told me you are publishing in a very famous magazine, the GEM

Also they told me you are satisfied,
they told me you are giving up to design amplifiers,
And giving up because already found someone that is real good,
And they told me because of that you will stay all day with pijama,
Also that you will not came to our forum.

And all those awfull, horroble, tragic things, because you are in love with your amplifier.

I have to say that your amplifier is full of defects, and this will make you return into research laboratory

Your amplifier have not sound stage when i use one single speaker.

Also your amplifier have not stereo with a single channel

Your amplifier cannot work without a DC supply

Your amplifier is the same as others, have RMS power, sinusoidal continuous power, and can be measured with IHF, Institute of High Fidelity rules...nothing different.

I could see that your amplifier have distortion when i plug a 5 volts peak to peak at its input.

Beeing so defective this way....i will be glad that you return to your humble days and return to us, and to researches.

Of course i am kidding, but please, do not go...stay with us...your amplifier is not already perfect!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• defects.jpg
    defects.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 722
Thanks Graham

Thank you for the explanation and the help up the steep learning curve.

I joined this forum to rediscover the passion of electronics after many years in management (digital electronics). I truely hope that after finding the passion once more through your incredibly kind sharing of your thoughts and designs that you (our mentor) will not be leaving..........

However as someone has found that one of the hardest things to learn in life is ro recognise the things that really matter. If you have already learnt this and that it means that you have to leave us then please take all our good wishes and blessings with you.

Oh!... very kind, a very good idea.... Yeaaah!

I will thank in advance.... very good idea!

But even better than that, as some "calculators" made some criticism related first cicle distortion and some Graham theories, will be great to listen what you feel related this amplifier sonics.

As i could understand, the criticisms were made to the Magazine, and not in our forum, and related the first GEM published, the 25W model.

Some fair judgement, result of comparison and asking other guys to evaluate.

Thank you barry, to think on us....Graham is needing to construct two channels to expose and send to Magazine Laboratories in UK...and he will use strip board, as he is having big headaches, result of a Chiropactor that create to him enormous problems.

Board to Graham...both 2 boards, will be some explendid thing, in special if reached his hands in a maximum of 10 days.... i think Graham is living in Ireland, UK... Send mine to him...he is needing more than me....i thank you very much because this intention, because remembered us,because your gratefull related Graham..he deserves that.

The board you intend to make, and intend to send me...please, if really you finished, send mine to Graham.

regards,

Carlos

Hi Barry,

When I say I am leaving the Forum, I mean no more discussing 'distortion', circuits, problems etc. with;- some
others who believe they already know all the answers - so what's the point,
others who furnish maths and technicalities like weapons to defend their truth,
others who devalue this forum by being plain rude and unmannerly because they know the moderators don't care about that.
There are some genuinely clever and experienced guys here, but such indefensible behaviour ruins the sense of belonging for many, from newbies to perpetual students.

As Carlos says; it is the SOUND that counts.
I have had circuits where theory would persuade for an ultimate performance - but they still don't sound right !
In my magazine writing I used two words - audio (plain type) and audio (italic). The former being a technically correct circuit that is capable of ultra low distortion audio frequency amplification, but which fails to sound convincing when driving real world loudspeakers ! The later type - there are not many really good ones about.

I have written about first cycle distortion because music is an endless stream of 'first cycles' with each on being different to the one we heard before. The 'no such thing', or 'impossibilities' relating to FCD were here in diyAudio too.
However, it was not the challenge that was the problem, but the manner and manners relating to that challenge.
Basically the spec' chasers need to wise up to the fact that if you let everything staibilise before you measure your 'steady sine' thd, then you've already missed all the transitional errors arising due to circuit path/stabilisation component delay interfering with propagation and thus NFB control, especially when the loudspeaker back-EMF also varies in time with output waveform and not llinearly with it.
Now I've said this, but I'm not going to discuss it!

Presently I am 'slow thinking' about my amplifier.

I already have a pencil sketch for a stripboard layout (I do not need Posh pcbs because they do not work any better and they are no more compact either), but I am also trying to think about the final overall layout for a complete mono-bloc.

I'd still be more than happy to give anyone's suggested pcb a checkover though. It can be e-mailed directly to me if necessary.

Cheers .......... Graham.

It is hard to see what the "Scopeheads" and the "numberologists" made with my fr

Graham.

Those guys , the ones that disturbed you, are virtual guys, they even do not listen using ears...they are "plugged" into distortion analisers.... normally they do not hold a soldering iron as they may burn their fingers holding them wrong side.

They normally do not construct nothing, i can see them alike "Mobile calculators".... that enter only to say that this is wrong...but have no competence, or intention, to teach us to make things rigth!

Some of them even have mouth to talk, they talk with other guys mouthes...Doctor Help said that, the book of Intermodulation from Doctor Belt said those.... give them some resistor, transistors and capacitors and they will do nothing related diy...they will make one schematic..... we cannot hear schematic... this papper may have other uses, of course...hehe.

They usually do not contributed more than shake our bells!...only with theoricall discussions.... and when i went into shops to listen the "designs made by those mobile calculators, made with very deep theoricall aproach", result that the sound is less interesting than my mother in law voice.... when screaming.

I do not apreciate those ones that had disturbed you, how deer them make those things with you, as related real research value, many of them cannot polish your shoes!

If i can read correct English words abreviated, Diy audio means to construct by ourselves audio equipment....calculators understood that as Design it by yourself...and the "correctors" read as Discuss it!

I use to have fun constructing your amplifiers, and many others too, and jumping the threads with enormous discussions, and some of them not well educated...they make critics to John Lindsey hood (JLH) but they could not make nothing that can be so good as that very old and "defective" design.... delirating with numbers, when humans have ears to perceive music, we are not simulators!

Yeah!...i am nervous...i am sorry guys...but i can be nervous too!

Carlos

Graham GM amp

Hi everybody's

I have just finished one channel of Graham GM.
I have adjusted it and i have a listen in mono on the 2 speakers.(4 ohm load and 31 v on rails)
I have listened against JLH and a class A mosfet of my design.
What a great amp! Better than the JLH and better in the bass-midbass than the mosfet design.
The output transistors are MJ15003-4: the treble eaters Carlos said in a previous post. I am trying to obtain Sankens.
This the better amp i have listened to.
Deep bass on last Yellow albums...
Wonderfull Angelique Kidjo voice...
Never heard Goldfrapp album like that...
Incredible Kodo and African percussions...
Sweet and detailled highs... details...

Very great design Graham! Thanks a lot!!

I have to build the other channel.

Graham, don't give up with audio.
I have read many comments on your work (good and bad) and on others work and music lovers guys don't bother with that.
The important thing is the sound: many do not understand that.

Audio is an art and a technic: you cannot calculate everything. You must try and this take long time...

Personnaly i have tried many amps (not as many as Carlos the Champion) and your articles and design came as a good surprise.
I have also tried the blameless amp. (sorry Carlos!) and this amp is supposedly perfect. I have not destroyed this one but keeped as a bad sounding unit with good distortion on paper.

Have a good day. :eguitar:

Hi Dragon2,

I am pleased to hear of your satisfactory GEM amplifier testing to date, with all of the timely detail coming through phase linearly !

Unfortunately any weaknesses in recording/playback mediums will be shown up too, so if there is too much hf, add your own input filter.

It is good that the MJ15003/4s work well. Actually I would expect the circuit to give a creditable performance using old 2N3055/2N3055P and BD139/140s.
Of course the Sankens have known good characteristics, but I wonder if they will make much of an audible difference to reproduction.

Did you try anything in relation to input impedance or just go direct ?
600 ohms actually helps with regard to detail.

Cheers ........ Graham.

I already made the test Graham... a small hi end roll of, that was compensated by

the tone circuit i used.... the brigth was almost the same...evaluating by ears...listening only.

I was curious with that, and made the same with Symassym and Aksa, but the last one is sensitive to common transistors...it really needs their original ones.

Symassym did the same, loss of volume in high frequencies.... i increase the high frequency in the amplifier input...and ready!..well, those knobs are made to adjust, rigth?

Dragon2, having pictures...please...our place...put them here!

regards,

Carlos

dx-
"I use to have fun constructing your amplifiers, and many others too, and jumping the threads with enormous discussions, and some of them not well educated...they make critics to John Lindsey hood (JLH) but they could not make nothing that can be so good as that very old and "defective" design.... delirating with numbers, when humans have ears to perceive music, we are not simulators!
"

and you are a critic too? when you critisise Douglas, i think you fall short
in your statement, you also mention that subjectivism is better than
real world measurements i find this too quite funny, if you want to colorate
sound in order to like it i would suggest you add some tone networks to your
amps you only judge by ear,by the way did you know that as you get older
the sound picked up by the ear falls short too, i can go on and on but i let
you continue your critisism youre doing a great job by the looks of it

cheers

GEM amplifier

Hi Graham

I use the 600 ohm input as you have recommended me before.
I have tested my CD player with a test disc at 400 HZ and 10KHZ
in 600 ohm load at full output and on the scope it was good so i use 2 X 220ohm to mix and i go direct at the input with the schematic filter. (I have built only one at this time)
If you think the Sankens will not make a difference, i will stay with the Motorolas.
This amp is something to listen.
Good recordings sound just as the should.
Again Thanks for this great amplifier!
You notice easily the bad ones and it is ok like that.:D

Hi Carlos

I have no digital camera so i will have to borrow one.
My first channel is a universal board with the parts on the copper side to go faster. Later i will do a better job.
I had to listen first.;)
I am shure you understand...

Hi Mastertech

I have constructed the JLH and the Blameless amp.
I have listened to many others amplifiers.
Panasonic make 2x100 W.Ch amp at $250cdn with big chips IC and with distortion figures like .002 percent.
Audio Research make the same 2x100W,Ch amp at $8000cdn with distortion like .1 percent.
So distortion measuring equipment...

I have listened JLH amp many years and i had the idea to upgrade with the Blameless.
I have built one channel just as i have done with the GM to listen before build two channels.
I have never built the other channel because it sounded very bad in comparison to the JLH who had less good distortion figures.
I think what bother us with the blameless is that the designer do not listen with speakers. He just do measuring with resistors...

It is that aspect that is very interesting with the Graham theory about first cycle distortion in real speaked load. GM amplifier is wonderfull in real use.

Go! Build one to try!

:D :D :D ;)

Have a good day :eguitar:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.