Imput needed on speaker selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Those klipsch speakers sound the best of any pc speakers i've ever heard, so i'm sure i'll be more than impressed with what I build. Friend of mine just bought a set of the klipsch, I'll be a happy man when I can show him up for the same money :devilr:

tinitus said:
Well here it is

Fostex FE 107e, 40USD (?)
Car woofer, MTX 10" from Parts Express, 293-350, 43USD, free shipping
Could make a nice "dipole"

All four driver ca. 170 USD

AND you will even have money for an extra pair of FE 127e to make a nice rearspeaker...so you will have a very nice setup

I would bout prefer to go with something even nicer, push my budget to its limits. Thing is that I will probably not get around to doing this until summer. That said, I will be back at work which means I won't be hurtin if the speakers and crossovers run 200 per sat.

I was just poking around on parts express and found this newcomer budget project that seems pretty close to being what I want. Its total cost is however much lower(nearly 50% lower!) than what I have budgeted to spend. I do however like the incredibly simple cabinet design.

Heres the link: Jubilee speakers

I noticed that the peerless midrange is no longer avalible, and that the tweeter used is quite low end.

Would this cabinet design work well substituting with the cheap dayton tweeter with the dayton tweeter(part 275-075) that was mentioned earlier, as well as substituting the peerless mid with the dayton mid range(part 285-010), and using the 8" dayton sub used in the project. Or would it be advisable to upgrade the sub a tad as well?

Considering that these will be used in close proximity to my beloved computer and crt, would it be a good idea to go with 295-366, it has a very similar response range to the 8" classic origionally used in the project.

Just for fun I replaced the speakers used in that project with the more expensive ones I mentioned above. The refrence series woofer, the shielded tweeter, and the dayton midrange. The total cost came out to just shy of 300 dollars including the crossover components and all.

edit: ohh wow, i misread. It came out to 260ish not 290ish! lol.

I'm just impressed by the simplicity and cheapness a setup like this provides.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.