Improving Tangband W3-1797S Flatcone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I use them in commercial MTM speakers Audio Pro Wigo Wi-160 as tweeter replacement in 0,5 liter enclosures (stuffed 10cm diameter and 14cm long ceramic pot) crossed at 1000Hz 4th order Bessel (computer based crossover). If I cross lower, they sound thin. I found them harsh with some female vocals, especially with lower quality source and heavily stuffed music, for example, symphonic metal. If high quality source female solos are played they have some bright metallic "s" and "sh" sounds but they are not so bad. Their strong points are imaging and very detailed sound, especially with acoustical string instruments (acoustic guitar and harp sound very natural).

The air gap height of the 3" is 8mm, so even if the driver is under or overhung you're still going to have a very large proportion of the motor parts still placed within the linear part of its operation when it's driven to 2mm excursion. It should remain fairly linear when slightly over driven.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.