Improved discrete op-amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
clem_o said:
Hi all,

Has the circuit been tried with other transistors? How sensitive is it to variations (i.e. beta mismatch, altogether different set of transistors)? Looks very interesting to try out...
I have tried a few different transistors and it doesn't seem too sensitive to variation except:
  • The input transistors need to be matched, as with any LTP. So do the current mirror ones. Ideally they should both be dual monolithic parts for thermal tracking.
  • The output JFETs, J5/6, need to be matched, plus their Idss is the output stage quiescent current, so don't use ones that are too high or too low. 5-10mA is a sensible amount.

clem_o said:
...I'm curious as to what equipment is being used to characterize the circuits and generate the plots - I seem to pick up that its a sound card on a computer - is that a commercially available "system" - i.e. sound card + test box + sw? If so, what?

Many thanks!
You can see what I used on my website.

Very revealing - thanks for the information - particularly the 2nd harmonic of the OPA2604... :-(

I used to use discrete (differential input) circuits for line-level amplification as well, many years ago, and then shifted to op-amps. Perhaps its high time to go back to discretes with circuits like these posted!

Cheers!

clem_o said:
...Perhaps its high time to go back to discretes...
It's much more satisfying building this stuff - using ICs is too easy! The fact that the performance is potentially better with discretes is just icing on the cake:)

richie00boy said:
You didn't mention what software you use on your website :) Also where do you get those nice cases?
Cool Edit is what I use. I suppose I should put that on my website.

The cases are made by Hammond and can be purchased from Farnell. They are lovely cases, though I do wish the bezels were conductive so that the end-plates made better contact for shielding purposes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.