improve heatsink

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
read what you wrote again, i don't think it makes sense.

if TPD is what the IC needs, then it wouldn't be the same as the heat dissipated, nor would you go and add the output power to that same figure.

so far the only reasonable conclusion i can draw that does not violate the laws of physics that we know and that is semi-consistent with what the pdf says is that

power consumption = total power dissipated + output power*2

And that is precisely what I wrote:

So, the power drawn from the PSU = 2* 22.5 + 49 = 94 W.

Power drawn from PSU = power consumption
total power dissipated = 49 W
output power * 2 = 2 * 22.5 W

This equation tells you that some of the energy is lost in the IC as heat and the rest goes to the speakers. Of the 94 W power consumption, 49 W is lost in the IC and the rest (2 * 22.5 W) finds its way into the speakers.

now, whether TPD and OP need to be multiplied by two, it's anyone's guess.

No it isn't. It's right there in the datasheet in the text just below the equation:

Quote from the datasheet:
"The package dissipation is twice the number which results
from Equation 2 since there are two amplifiers in each
LM4780."

unless i get a definitive answer from a NI or TI engineer, i can't be sure for nothing. the datasheet is a fuckin mess

The datasheet is fine, your interpretation is the mess.

The equation for PDmax is for one amp and hence needs to be multiplied by two to get the figure for both channels in the IC. It says so in the text I just quoted from the datasheet.

The graph shows total power dissipation vs output power per channel. The word "total" indicates it's the power dissipation of the entire IC and that automatically means both channels (don't be misled by the "Output Power/Channel" on the other axis!).
If the datasheet were wrong, the calculated PDmax (+/- 30 V PSU and 8 ohm load) of 45.6 W would not nearly be so close to the 49 W from the graph.

Last edited:
Total power dissipation (TPD) is NOT the same as total power consumption (TPC).

TPD is the part of TPC that is dissipated as heat in the IC.

To put it another way: if TPC is 100% (94 W), then 52% (49 W) is dissipated as heat and the remaining 48% (2 * 22.5 W) goes to the speakers.

You're misinterpreting me.

Total power dissipation is the total amount of power that is lost (or dissipated) as heat in the IC in order to be able to deliver the power output to the speakers. ALL power will come from the PSU.

So while the amplifier IC is pumping 2 * 22.5 W into the speakers, the IC itself is needing (dissipating) an extra 49 W of power. All of this power must come from somehere, and that is the PSU. So, the PSU is supplying the 2 * 22.5 W for the speakers AND the 49 W for the IC. Together this forms the total power consumption of 94 W. (But it's only the 49 W you need to take into account while calculating the thermal resistance of the heatsink).

TPC = TPD + PO (but you already know this, you wrote it yourself in post #20).

Last edited:
i am not misinterpreting you. I read exactly what you wrote. That the "total power dissipation is what the IC needs to operate." No, what the IC needs to operate is the "total power consumption". Quit twisting meanings or claiming i misinterpreted. You wrote a very simple, very concise, sentence. There is no room for misinterpreting. Also, you've described the rest already more than i needed. I'm a physicist with an MSc, i'm familiar with how an IC operates. It's just that the datasheet is sometimes confusing. You agreed that what the datasheet says is not clear enough and that it could have been indicated more clearly: "don't be misled by the "Output Power/Channel" on the other axis!". When writing a datasheet, there should be no "it's implied". Read an RFC for an example of how to write something in order to avoid any misinterpretations.

i am not misinterpreting you. I read exactly what you wrote. That the "total power dissipation is what the IC needs to operate." No, what the IC needs to operate is the "total power consumption".

I disagree. TPC is what the IC needs (TPD) plus what the speakers get (PO).
But I will agree that you will always deal with TPC from a PSU point of view. The separation needed to be made to calculate the heatsink.

Quit twisting meanings or claiming i misinterpreted.

For a while I was under the impression that the distinction between TPC, TPD and PO wasn't clear. Partly because of your confusion in post #13.
It may seem that I wrote different things in different posts, but I actually wrote the same thing in different ways.

You wrote a very simple, very concise, sentence. There is no room for misinterpreting.

If both of us have the same concept of TPC and TPD, this would be true.

You agreed that what the datasheet says is not clear enough and that it could have been indicated more clearly: "don't be misled by the "Output Power/Channel" on the other axis!".

No, I didn't write that the datasheet is unclear. I did point out the possible source of misinterpretation.

When writing a datasheet, there should be no "it's implied". Read an RFC for an example of how to write something in order to avoid any misinterpretations.

The title of the graph explicitly states that it is total power dissipation vs power output per channel. Maybe what the datasheet seems to imply is the practice of specifying the power output of any amp per channel.

I will let it rest now by answering your last post: yes, 1 degr. C/W should be more than sufficient.

yeah, as i was saying, the pdf is not at all clear. Turns out i'm right.

here is the chitchat with TI itself, regarding the +/- 30 V at 40 W output which is indicated in the pdf:

Dear George Tsiros,

Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments. Your request has been received and Service Request number 1-800854376 has been assigned to your inquiry.

85W is the power consumption per channel so for two channels total power consumption should be around 2*85W=170W

[THREAD ID:1-D8T374]
-----Original Message-----
To: <asktexas@ti.com>
Subject: RE: George Tsiros, Greece
>> question regarding LM4780

Actually, there is.
40 W power dissipation for 45 W output per channel
So is the power consumption 85 W or 130 W?
Because it says "power output / CHANNEL" under the graph.

Doesn't matter who is right or wrong, now. It is proven that the pdf can be interpreted in various ways.
so.... what now?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.