Impossible to find pot???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm hoping someone can help me with this part. I was told by digi-key that they have no idea what I'm talking about. The part is an output pot for a digitech RP-1 effects board. I contacted digitech and they gave me this description "20K B taper 16mm Rotary X2 D-shaft horizontal mount". I believe it is a stereo pot (x2?) Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I'm hoping someone can help me with this part. I was told by digi-key that they have no idea what I'm talking about. The part is an output pot for a digitech RP-1 effects board. I contacted digitech and they gave me this description "20K B taper 16mm Rotary X2 D-shaft horizontal mount". I believe it is a stereo pot (x2?) Does anyone have any ideas on this?

I assume you have the board you are trying to repair in hand? can you take a close up picture of the pot and post it? Your problem is just that the description is jargonized for Digitech. I doubt you would be unable to actually find a replacement if you identified its physical parameters.

Replacing bad pots can be a real pain in the posterior. They come in so many different physical configurations, electrical characteristics, PC mount vs board mount, and on and on...
I recommend you take a look at the pot in question and determine as best you can what it is, and proceed from there. If you can post a picture, we might be able to steer you in a helpful direction.

Mike

Realize that the pots on most commercial products are custome made for the OEM. They don't just buy them off the shelf.

16mm refers to the size of the body. D-shaft refers to the shaft as solid with a flatted side. Pots when mounted to the board can have their shafts either parallel to the board or sticking out at right angles to the board. That is what the refernce to horizontal or vertical mount means. And 20kBx2 means a 20k linear taper, and it is a dual pot - or "stereo" if you prefer.

I see all those specs as common terms, and not specific Digitech jargon really. You may find something real similar on the shelf, but I would think that just luck if you do.

If Digikey doesn't have it, then look in Mouser and Allied.

Thanks for all of the replies! I contacted Digitech on this pot and they said they had "no more there". I asked them for their supplier and they told me digikey or Mouser (no luck with either). The body is indeed 16mm, as is the shaft length. I have some pics for you to examine. The were 6 small tabs pointing down but I removed when I de-soldered the pot. You all are really helping lift the veil on this!

http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h34/highspeedsentry/pot/

I've used deoxit and deoxit gold. i think the track(s)? are damaged. I used to have to play with the knob a bit to get any sound, but now I get nothing. I think the pot took an impact to the top of the shaft. I have a decent multimeter, but am unsure how to actually test if the connections are physically being made inside the pot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.