ImPasse Preamplifier

well, so I'm thinking about doing something crazy... this article was so well-written, that I've perhaps tricked myself into thinking I learned a thing or two.. and like any good teacher, there are just enough nuggets of wisdom to make the inspired (or stupid) student to go out on their own and make their own mistakes and maybe learn a thing or two int he process... so, I'd like to try the D3A version (while we wait for Jack's boards) and was thinking for ease of use, that perhaps a single bottle for the output would be nice. Any recommendations here? Surely one more hint couldn't hurt :)

Wow, nice eye for detail! The real answer is, it doesn't matter. In my prototype, I used 300R. The 120R in the parts list is carried over from a similar set of CCS I built for my phono stage, where I used (for similar reasons, convenience) 120R. Either value will work here- the article states that it's pretty noncritical.

R5 is 300R, but that value is specific to the batch of FETs I had on hand; as I said in the article, that value might have to be adjusted.

It would have a higher source impedance, but still pretty acceptable. I might run that section a bit hotter than in my version, maybe 15mA or so.

The question I'd have is whether the first section is really a 6SN7 or not- since there's no feedback, the linearity is all up to the tube.

I've built many solidstate preamps and amps but no tube stages. In years gone by I actually repaired tube transmitters. Wow that brings back memories.
The AX article has inspired me so I am going to start collecting parts. Hopefully there will be a PCB board group buy. I signed up for the input transformer group buy. Could someone recommend a reliable source for the tubes.

PS: SY We are practically neighbors considering we are out here in the greater Northwest. I'm in the Lewiston, Id/Clarkston, Wa area.

BDP