ImPasse Preamplifier

They're passed through different sections in the same envelope. This compromises separation at megahertz frequencies, which is not terribly worrisome. At audio frequencies, the weakest link is usually the volume control or the selector switch.

To put things into perspective, a good phono cartridge might have 20dB of separation. A preamp will be 100-10,000 times better than that.

Jack, BDP thanks for the info, that clears some things up. :)

Jack - Just to verify, the CCS Fets don't have to have their legs crossed on this version of the PCB?

the new version is minus the contorted legs. i think i must've been thinking of lateral mosfets. they did, however, remind me of the girls in my grade school class taking "step dancing" lessons. (even the those of italian descent had to take step.)

I've been reading through this thread but just ran out of time at work, so apologies if this has already been answered.

The original Impasse specified a 650 VCT 40mA 6.3 VCT 2A mains transformer.

What are the upper and lower limits of these supplies. I expect the 6.3V to be about 2A but can the HT be say 620V or 640V as the American transformers are expensive here in the UK.

To tell you the truth, I don't use one- I only need unity gain in my system. So no, haven't changed anything and there's not much in there to change.

Input transformers are seen as a trade-off, and with good grounding and layout all up and down your signal chain, you can probably achieve low noise without them. Probably. With a transformer, certainly, but that costs something, as you correctly observe. I don't think there's a fidelity loss with good input transformers, and in some cases there's a measurable (and sometimes audible) difference for the better.

I'm currently using the B1 with an Aleph4 but I feel that there isn't quite enough gain in the system.

Certainly at 100% it's not as loud as I would expect 100W to be.

I can use almost 100% on the B1 volume control for comfortably LOUD listening. I would expect 100W to be almost uncomfortable.

My speakers are B&W DM683's which are not the most sensitive speakers in the World.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The ImPasse will certainly have enough gain!

The issue is that you are nowhere near 100W if you are maxing out your B1. As you know, it has just a teensy bit less than unity gain, so the output of whatever source you are listening to is all you get.

Plus, the Alephs only have about 20db of gain, so having a bit more oomph in the preamp will be quite helpful. The ImPasse will have plenty.

The Impasse Schematic

Thank you SY, here is the original Impasse Schematic Diagram.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 505