I'm ready, 60w mono Kit need suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need some qualified minds to recommend a kit, just the board and components, I will make the housing. I want to build something of use and I am in need of a amp to power a small sub woofer with a 5 1/4 driver and the low pass X over coil. I would like to build a mono block that will produce around 40 watts clean and continuous power with some reserve. Something with quality components that is a good solid design that I can take some pride in afterwords and will serve as a teaching tool as well. I have time to kill and a interest in the subject and pretty sure I can pull this off with a little help.
That said I am looking forward to this and thank you in advance for the help.
Less Opinion

40W is within the range of a chipamp.
There are a few from different manufacturers.
I have used the National LM3886 and can recommend it.
It will give around 50W into 8ohms when mated with a 25-0-25Vac transformer.

Don't use a low pass crossover coil.
Build a passive, or active, filter that goes before the power amplifier.

AndrewT Thanks again for your help. Do not be shy about being direct with your thoughts as to my simplistic questions, I am quite uneducated in many of these matters and left to decision making with out the knowledge to do so is detrimental. the reason for your thoughts would be educational I'm sure if you choose to include them. Could You suggest a place to educate myself as to the up stream filtering of the signal, I think I would cut this off around 100hz, This would be some type of a in line resistor to the amp? I have also considered a active automotive type X over.
Less Opinion
RE:
1. The amps you have built do you have anything posted, Photos, schematics, written description (not theory not advanced enough to go there just operation of the circuit, what goes where and why?
2. Can you recomend a Pc board Type etc. or just be specific ?
3. As to the Ac 25v transformer, a place to educate? I look for these things but that can be consuming.

P/S I am a fellow Scott myself. "May only warm winds blow beneath your kilt"

Last edited:
RE: the 25-0-25Vac

RE: the 25-0-25Vac transformer is this what is referred to above.

Attachments

• IMG_20151231_160317.jpg
    IMG_20151231_160317.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 208
RE: the 25-0-25Vac transformer is this what is referred to above.

I think something more like this was referred to: AN-2225 - 200VA 25V Transformer - AnTek Products Corp

The photo you show has a sticker on it that says 0V-12V-26V

There's a sticky at the top of chipamp forum here on diyaudio.com about power supplies, also be sure to look at the neurochrome link above. There's a section Taming LM3886, and I'm pretty sure there's a section in there on power as well. After reading that you can select a transformer based on your needs.

Joined 2011
So I take it bridged to a 8ohm load would put 4ohm load on the amp?

Right, that's the downside of bridging. You get twice the voltage, but at the same current,
since the channels are in series but of opposite polarities (sometimes wrongly called "out of phase").
This results in each amplifier channel being electrically loaded by half of the load impedance.

Last edited:
LM3886 non inverting circuit board

LM3886 I believe this is my chip of choice. (thanks, AndrewT) A non inverting circuit board? I'm assuming is a amp type that the board is designed for? and last is this what I want? opinions Please. This will be a mono block computer sub woofer amp. Some day!

RE: LME49811

Mircea Crisan, It's a bit more amp than I need for this particular project but I am sure this will not be my last build, I think I have the fever. For my first build I just want to get my feet wet. I want to power a small computer sub so for now until I understand more about why I'm doing it as apposed to just sticking pieces together I don't want a big investment in it but thanks for your input. The pics look good, Nice Work! which of them is the LME49811? And what is the monster on the end?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.