Ikea spherical speakers, first build done.

(Stupid iPhone, crappy pictures above)

Just saw this link, looks like a line array and a 28cm Ikea bowl.

Apple and the Rise of the Machines: Don't worry, they're just here to rock

tmocdm9-1264240418.jpg

Hi Studio Au !
I thought I might include sketch up drawings, if somebody is interested how these might look like :) (was boring my self to death today :D ) The driver is Mark Audio CHR-70 (to scale)
P.S.: the black ring is a spacer ring, to take the bowl to full 28cm diameter (the bowls are a little bit less than 14cm high)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Internal volume 8,2L (I hope :D ) port 40mm diameter, 144mm length, according to markaudio web page project, the internal volume should be 6,4L.Suppose to be good for f3 52Hz, port tuned to 58Hz

Bought 4x 12cm bowls, I might stick my Logicrap drivers in (opposite ends) and 28cm sub-bowl :D for the desktop.

Danny

Last edited:
Hello,
I went to Ikea yesterday and bought the 20cm version for a small full range driver, the Fountek FR88Ex.
Put together, the 2 bowls also don't form a perfect sphere, there are about 1cm missing.

So, I also will use a spacer to make the 4/3 Pi R^3 formula work.

I was also thinking of using this spacer to make a multiple vent area, in a ring, all around the cabinet.
In a quick WinIsd simulation, it seems to work with 8 vents of 6mm diameter and 4.5cm long.
Any comments about this idea?

Looks to me like he put a $15 TangBand driver in a $5 Ikea vase with maybe another $2 in binding posts/cork stoppers/wood and is selling it for $500. Nice work if you can get it, I guess.

if you add some for the amp, the case, the time spent making them (1 hour?) you arrive 50$ unit which at 10x hi-fi price standards is well within the habits of the market... this should just confirm what's in the other products... and then this isn't probably the most expensive use of TB drivers...

6moons audio reviews: Boenicke Audio SLS

...ok they are cool, but a BVR is way more.

The usual stuffing will take care of internal resonances - they're not huge spaces to dampen so any standing waves will be at higher frequencies. Structurally they probably sound fine. No flat panels to resonate, clamped at the edges.

I am currently using a pair of cube-ish ceramic enclosures for Jordan JXR6s. They're plant stands of some sort. Rang like a bell on their own but as soon as I glued a wooden baffle in place it rendered them pretty inert. Wooden ceramic bowls should be even better.

Last edited:
I really like the way the concrete champagne flutes came out, i tried one with plaster but it all went off before i could put in the tapered wooden former for the internal volume.

Cheap too. I still need to take off a few millimeters for the tweeter to fit snuggly, with take some photos when finished.