Ikea bowl speaker drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CHR-70 fits nicely in the larger bowls.

dave

Don't entirely agree Dave. The larger bowls come out at about 9.2 ltrs, I say about because the precise size varies......

CHP70 sims nicely into that volume with Butterworth alignment but not CHR.

here are some with TB W5, which is a bit larger than OP wanted I think.

http://www.vitalstates.org/hma/gallery/img-dam-g1.jpg
http://www.vitalstates.org/hma/gallery/img-dam-g2.jpg
http://www.vitalstates.org/hma/gallery/img-dam-g3.jpg
http://www.vitalstates.org/hma/gallery/img-dam-g4.jpg

Ed

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Don't entirely agree Dave. The larger bowls come out at about 9.2 ltrs, I say about because the precise size varies......

CHP70 sims nicely into that volume with Butterworth alignment but not CHR.

Ed,

My CHR-Ken has a base volume of 9 litres and has got consistently rave reviews (i've been listening to a set now for a couple weeks -- good enuff that i haven't been motivated to put the A7 FH Mk3 back together). One beta tester actually had on hand a 9 litre conventional BR to compare it to, and performance was quite different (better) with the miniOnken. My salad bowl concept is based on that design.

dave

yeah sorry Dave, wasn't criticising.....

wasn't even sure if you were talking about vented or not either......

from memory I simmed about 10 drivers for the salad bowl project and the tangband was the nearest.....I believe using Butterworth the CHR wanted 6.5ish ltrs and the CHP wanted 9.5...hence my questioning your alignment....

fwiw the large bowls with the tangbands have always got good response from the gatherings and shows that have heard them, so the alignment seems to be right.

Ed

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
from memory I simmed about 10 drivers for the salad bowl project and the tangband was the nearest.....I believe using Butterworth the CHR wanted 6.5ish ltrs and the CHP wanted 9.5...hence my questioning your alignment....

If you are going sealed, CHR does like a smaller volume... 5.5-7 litres is about right (sealed is so nice, in that volume is so much less critical and effective volume can be tweaked with quantity/quality of stuffing.

Easy enuff to put solid fill in a box to decrease volume too.

dave

hello there, I now have my tang band speakers and my amp6, now its just time to wait to go home for Christmas (and get all those small thinks like binging posts etc) and i was wondering whether it is a worthwhile thing to try and recess the speaker into the bowl to get a more continuous sphere, or is the 3-4mm step of the speaker not be worth doing.

Also surround the speaker with a few cm of felt or not, these small things.

And wadding, finding it seems hard, how much would I need for the ~4l volume of the medium bowls, all I can find is sheets on the net which I guess is not ideal for a spherical enclosure.

diff_sph.gif

Sphere size will alter the effect though.

Sort of. From the outside a sphere is good, but not as good as a teardrop. On the inside a sphere is one of the worst possible shapes.

dave

yeah, but like I said before Dave, it doesn't have to be a sphere on the inside.....put one of those spiky kiddy balls inside and I don't think there's a name for the resulting shape......IME the results are nothing but positive

Ed

I'm currently finalizing ikea bowl speakers with CHR-70. I chose smaller bowls. Between the bowls I have 17mm solid wood "block" that has 8 holes (4 big, 4 small) and solid middle to prevent standing waves. Also I added 30 grams of regular polyester stuffing. Subjective listening tests tells me that this will tame worst standing waves. Also I noticed that too much stuffing will definitely kill some of the spatial information. Difference between 30 and 40 grams was audible (or at least it sounded like it). 30 grams was definitely better. I'm currenly searching for wool that supposedly has superior damping properties over polyester stuffing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.