ikea bowl speaker + CHR-70 gen.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Martin,
If you can get the Yam for a nice price and its in good condition, could be a good buy. Talking of amps, I'm hunting for an all-Japan Luxman 503S this during the coming week in Tokyo - see pic. I've gotta a bit of the "love thing" for vintage Japanese Moffys.

Cheers
Mark.

wow , nice looking Luxman. i have a friend not using a luxman 384A he has but i cant convince him to sell it.

i already offered him 600€ , i´ve seen them on 2nd hand market for 400/500€ still wont sell.

One piece spherical CHR-70.3 cabinets were made by a diyer in China.

Attachments

• Ball-CHR.jpg
    Ball-CHR.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 886
...Looking at the bowls, I'd think a 1" (25-mm) diameter port X 50-mm long, Fb around 54Hz, F3 around 49Hz, looks reasonable. This should get you started. I guess you'll try to squeeze them in the lower real bowl? You might want to try 60-mm long to kick off and trim back depending on room placement, your listening preference etc.

Other members might like to try on their software, offer some additional variations on my calcs.

Cheers
Mark.

I think I will add a port but not sure on the placement... would adding it to the back half (where the binding posts are) be ok?

I think I will add a port but not sure on the placement... would adding it to the back half (where the binding posts are) be ok?

Hi Martin,
Greetings from Tokyo (just arrived for the shows).
Yes, add to the back half, in place of the binding posts is OK; Or leave the posts and position the port just above (or below if there's room). I'd suggest above to avoid the cables.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Hi Martin,
Greetings from Tokyo (just arrived for the shows).
Yes, add to the back half, in place of the binding posts is OK; Or levee the posts and position the port just above (or below if there's room). I'd suggest above to avoid the cables.

Cheers
Mark.

Hi Mark, thanks for replying! I couldn't seem to find ready made ports as small as 25mm so had to make some:

20111008_153835.jpg

The silver colour top parts are "collers" for fishing rods with some black electrical conduit couplers which were 25mm and has a combined length of ~70mm. ~10mm for speaker wall, 60mm for the actual port (50mm if I push the coupler further in):

20111008_162726.jpg

I decided to place them under the binding posts in the end, simply because it will less likely to become a dust collector and the wiring still seems ok I think! Anyway, here's a quick shot of the back with the port installed:

20111008_170107.jpg

It definitely has more Oomph! now but going to listen a bit longer to make sure!

Mark, thanks once again and hope you have a great time in Japan!!

Mooi Jan !

My take on the IKEA speaker:
The missile nose cone (true!) in the back is the (sub)woofer. Just finished it, haven't had a chance to do more than casual listening though.

jan didden

Hoi Jan,

WOW this is really cute :cool:

What's the sensitivity of that unit?
And that sub woofer :eek: I wonder what came to mind when you where drawing that missile :rolleyes:

Cute :p

Groet,

José Audiofanatic :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hoi Jan,

WOW this is really cute :cool:

What's the sensitivity of that unit?
And that sub woofer :eek: I wonder what came to mind when you where drawing that missile :rolleyes:

Cute :p

Groet,

José Audiofanatic :)

Hi José,

I haven't done any measurements yet, but the driver (a ScanSpeak) was recommended to me by Joachim Gerhard. I only had a 10 minutes listen before I left home for a looong trip....
I saved those nose cones from destruction after the system was decommisioned. You know, swords to plowshares ;)

jan

Mine had CHR-70 gen2s on them. Recently switched them to Alpair 7s.

Bass is MLTL with old focal 6.5 incher and xover around 120Hz

And yes they sounded sweet with CHR-70s but upgrading them to Alpair 7s just took them through the roof.

Attachments

• IMG_4041.JPG
    IMG_4041.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 783
Mine had CHR-70 gen2s on them. Recently switched them to Alpair 7s.

Bass is MLTL with old focal 6.5 incher and xover around 120Hz

And yes they sounded sweet with CHR-70s but upgrading them to Alpair 7s just took them through the roof.

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

I'm looking to assemble an IKEA bowl set of Alpair 7s with supporting bass woofers.

How would one go around designing a top mounted driver MLTL like yours based on a Seas Excel 8" (W22EX-001)?

Edwin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.