If you had to buy a new amp....?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Check out Memphis.

I have an "Older" MC1000D in my Eclipse and with my 16W6 makes in a ported box makes you wanna jump out of the car only half way up with the gain only 1/4 way up.

I'm running 1/0 Gauge from the front to a 1Farad Cap and then into the amp.
I'm gueastimating ( Very modestly ) an output of ~112-120 Db!
Not a lot but its very responsive and but to the small nature of the car it hits HARD! Thinking of stepping up to a 12" Mojo sub and the M Class component set.

Depending on how "deep" your pockets are, but you may want to look at Focal, Morel, MB Quart and that's just a few of the good ones to mention, that have been around and make a very good product.

Good Luck...

djQUAN said:

that's because if you can afford them, you can afford a proper professional install. :clown:

How can someone define "profesional" install ???
i used to be an installer and all really it is knowledge !
knowing that power and signal cables should not be routed together, signal should be set at highest output yet where the distorsion is the lowest ( most decks thats 60-78% volume setting ) always Gain DOWN not up to the point that signal is clean and speakers aren't "bottoming" out due to being overpowered or filters ( HPF / LPF ) were improperly set. EQ MUST be flat when setting the Gain on an AMP.
The EQ was put in place to boost frequency response in cheaper speakers, not to overdrive good ones.
I had several ppl that were blowing speakers left and right and the first place i've always looks was the EQ, and for this one particular guy ALWAYS everything was maxed out :eek:

trusound said:
I have prolly owned/used/tested 95% of the most high end car audio amplifiers known to man... and you can't beat zapco for build quality and reliability..

Then you can do the DC's and have full DSP at your fingertips and it doesn't get better than that

JUST A FYI ....

ZAPCO is NOW built in China

They have few tech's left only, the rest went about 5 months ago now. I live just over the hill from them....So it's very true information

I would debate you on Zaoco "quality" But I like it peaceful here on DIY..Leave it said that while assembled well, and triple inspected by AARP, there overall designs are "CHEAP' and NON imaginative, but very well marketed to the uninformed, and untrained in electronics engineering..... IMO
I also feel the same about Rockford and Linear Power, but what do I know ? I've only been rebuilding this stuff for thirty years now...

Heck I even sold the President of TRU one of my Adcom GFA-5475's for his daily driver. Seems he liked the way the old Adcom's sounded, Go figure... :D

We are supposed to be smart, and build a better mousetrap or build it faster with less cost. I had to laugh last night when Cramer on cnbc says we need to take lessons from the world's best capitalists, yes China. So far I've seen very little we have done to address this issue. Innovation is so dead here.

no argurement here... once the C2K lines end so will the american made zapco amps..

but In a car.. processing will out way amp sonics and build 1000 times over period... I worked for TRU... I know exactly what they are capable off... the C7.4T is still one off the best sounding amps I have ever own/tested... but that's great when you can test them at on on a 2 channel setup in the perfect listening postion..

so...I don't think I'm the person you should be starting fights with.. you may have been building amps for 30 years but I have built more/heard more world class cars than you could imagine... and cars come down to install... then tuning power... and once you get that down then the last .02% of amp build/sonics will set you apart..

1moreamp said:

JUST A FYI ....

ZAPCO is NOW built in China

They have few tech's left only, the rest went about 5 months ago now. I live just over the hill from them....So it's very true information

I would debate you on Zaoco "quality" But I like it peaceful here on DIY..Leave it said that while assembled well, and triple inspected by AARP, there overall designs are "CHEAP' and NON imaginative, but very well marketed to the uninformed, and untrained in electronics engineering..... IMO
I also feel the same about Rockford and Linear Power, but what do I know ? I've only been rebuilding this stuff for thirty years now...

Heck I even sold the President of TRU one of my Adcom GFA-5475's for his daily driver. Seems he liked the way the old Adcom's sounded, Go figure... :D

.I don't think I'm the person you should be starting fights with.

Cool, I never intended to be off base with you. But I still think Zapco is over-priced and lack luster in performance and price.

Now TRU on the other hand is a very innovative product line. I am constantly impressed with all of their products.

I comment from a long term reliability stand point of view. So forgive my off angle opinion of Zapco. Its based solely on trying to keep many of there products functional for many a client over the years.

Peace....:)

Might be hard to think of amps you don't work on or see broken. I have not seen any infinity for a while, have a couple to try but not run one yet and don't know a thing about them. I love to hear people's comments on amps be it reliability, brand/status/reputation, power, sonics/signature, retro, or whatever they think and why.

Some amps I've not heard of much: zuki, arc, sundown, ed, there are some others they rave about in audio forums....or sell at those sites is sometimes the case. Audison is another, and nobody here seems to mention McIntosh either.

I also read that line of cerwin vega out not long ago was the same board as a more expensive arc amp, people were buying those cheap too. Here it is the EXL, http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Cerwin_Vega_EXL1000D/ Must be CV, clarion, and arc are related.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.