IEC mains connector poll

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Whichever

I do it the way which is easiest to make the cut-out so the AC inlet fits cleanly. Typically I'll use a dremel and a file, whichever (top or bottom) of the dremel cuts turns out worse I'll file for the angled edges and use it that way so it fits neatly.

However, in the one instance of using frontpanelexpress.com to make a rear panel cutout of exact shape, I put the ground on top. Only reason was that this leaves the writing right side up on the inside connectors so I felt like it was supposed to be like this; and you could read "furutech" or whatevever the name was across the top of the inlet on the inside. cool.
60Hz.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Earth down for aesthetic reasons.. 60Hz region

We use IEC connectors for convenience and in order to be able to change length/configuration of the power cord.

I can't hear nor measure any difference between a hard wired cord and one through a properly rated IEC connector without integral emi filter.

I think the IEC looks a lot more professional, and got a lot of criticism on my early commercial products for not using them. Hence the change which now sadly is only relevant to my own personal projects.:xeye:

Kevin

Captive cables are a real pain on 'portable' gear (PA etc).
OTOH, I do use them on fixed equipment - one more connector is one more potential fault.; besides which I like to use screened mains cable for hi-fi, and it's difficult to terminate neatly into the average IEC.

In the world of pro euipment ( all kinds - not just audio), you will find them oriented in all directions.... as it fits best
although pins are usually pointing outwards....:clown:

The filter freaks can even get them with integrated line filters.....

Quality versions should not matter...on the whole I find this power chord hysteria quite tiresome. Your PSU parts do indeed count, -- the wall chord....not in my faintest imagination!

The filter freaks can even get them with integrated line filters.....

Tried that once. Whenever I switched the unit on it went "TWAnnnnnng--Hmmmmmmmmm". Then stayed with a steady humm thereafter. This happened averywhere in the house but was worse when there was a light dimmer elsewhere in the circuit. Moral, next time I try this I'll select a filter that contains no inductors or build it myself from ("Y") caps only

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.