Ideal I-V Converter stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ken Newton said:
My experience is that increasingly lower THD measurements alone often do not correlate with improvements in perceived sound quality. In fact, there often seems to be a negative correlation between perceived sound quality and vanishingly low THD.
Yes, lots of people report something similar. Two possible explanations (both might be part of the truth):
1. Optimising one thing (low THD) can lead to a designer missing other important things or introducing new problems.
2. Some people actually prefer a little low order distortion (there is some experimental evidence to support this, as well as the anecdotal evidence of the popularity of 'tube buffers' etc. - I believe there is even some evidence that some prefer 2nd and others prefer 3rd)

My view is that low THD can mean low IMD, which must be a good thing provided other problems are not created in the process. Low order harmonics below a few percent are generally not audible, and below what the speakers will be producing anyway. So straining for extra zeroes after the decimal point is silly, but carelessly including unnecessary distortion through poor design or adjustment is equally daft.

Hey, i'm new to audio electronics in a sense, i'm currently studying I-V Converters for my first DAC which employs a PCM2707 and PCM1704, similar to that of many designs i've seen around here. I know I could buy someone elses PCB and simply solder the components, but I rather build it from scratch.

The PCM2707 is not a current output DAC so no I/V converter is required for that one.

The PCM1704 is a current output DAC and does need an I/V converter.

Which one are you talking about?

Yes, lots of people report something similar. Two possible explanations (both might be part of the truth):
1. Optimising one thing (low THD) can lead to a designer missing other important things or introducing new problems.
2. Some people actually prefer a little low order distortion (there is some experimental evidence to support this, as well as the anecdotal evidence of the popularity of 'tube buffers' etc. - I believe there is even some evidence that some prefer 2nd and others prefer 3rd)

My view is that low THD can mean low IMD, which must be a good thing provided other problems are not created in the process. Low order harmonics below a few percent are generally not audible, and below what the speakers will be producing anyway. So straining for extra zeroes after the decimal point is silly, but carelessly including unnecessary distortion through poor design or adjustment is equally daft.

I pretty much share those suppositions.

Last edited:
So straining for extra zeroes after the decimal point is silly, but carelessly including unnecessary distortion through poor design or adjustment is equally daft.

You assume that what happend in '70's is still happening. Any low THD decent device today will have low intermodulation products too. The lessons from the deceiving ads from '70's where learned by all manufacturers that matter.
On the other hand, poor THD always sounds bad. Coloration of a musical program might be "desirable" only if is linear (like tone controls). That means maintaining the low harmonics.

Sure, there are people like to stick a sub in the car trunk and crank it up to 1000W with all the car panels rattling. And they say "it sounds goood". But that doesn't make them right.

Also, your argument that you don't have to be better than the speaker THD. So, in this thread that is about I/V stage of a DAC, you recommend DAC's with THD around 1%? So... 7 bits of data (0.8%) are enough?

Last edited:
You assume that what happend in '70's is still happening. Any low THD decent device today will have low intermodulation products too. The lessons from the deceiving ads from '70's where learned by all manufacturers that matter.
On the other hand, poor THD always sounds bad. Coloration of a musical program might be "desirable" only if is linear (like tone controls). That means maintaining the low harmonics.

Sure, there are people like to stick a sub in the car trunk and crank it up to 1000W with all the car panels rattling. And they say "it sounds goood". But that doesn't make them right.

Some people prefer Russian caviar, some people prefer French fois gras. Who's correct?

SoNic_real_one said:
Sorry, I don't understand your point. Exactly what of all that happened in the 1970's am I supposed to be assuming?

That means maintaining the low harmonics.
Are you talking about frequency response (maintaining what is already there in the signal) or distortion (adding new harmonics)? I thought we were talking about distortion, but then you introduce the new topic of maintaining harmonics.

Also, your argument that you don't have to be better than the speaker THD. So, in this thread that is about I/V stage of a DAC, you recommend DAC's with THD around 1%? So... 7 bits of data (0.8%) are enough?
I think from the context of my remarks it is clear that I am talking about low order distortion. Low bit DACs don't just produce low order, but lots of high order too. So for DACs some zeroes after the decimal point are needed, except perhaps for low order distortion introduced by the analogue circuitry. The DAC chip itself needs to be as linear as possible; the following circuitry can sometimes be less accurate.

No, that would be different genres of music.
There we are talking about same food - one fresh and one rottnen. If anybody preffers rotten food, it's fine, just don't tell the others, that prefer the food fresh, exactly how it was made, that they are wrong.

Amplifiers, DAC's, preamps, and loudspeakers all have different flavors as well. Everyone's entitled to their choice of flavors.

The DAC chip itself needs to be as linear as possible; the following circuitry can sometimes be less accurate.
Why? The errors are compounding on the audio chain. It's better to keep everthing as transparent as possible.

There is no right or wrong when it comes to what someone likes.

But there is a RIGHT way to reproduce something faithfully. If you want to listen to music as close as possible of the way the original artist made it, there is only one correct "way".

If you want to make your own mix of original music with added distortions, that is not part of technical audio reproduction anymore. Call it "art" if that floats your boat.

Last edited:
Her are two examples of a different approch, that is common base/gate that also represents a very low impedance, but doesn't necesarily use high-feedback opamps.

peufeu from France

...and Pioneer ODR reference car audio system ( YES ...for CAR ... but extremly well sounding) :

Ciao

Attachments

• Pioneer RS-A9 IV DAC.jpg
    Pioneer RS-A9 IV DAC.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 741
But there is a RIGHT way to reproduce something faithfully. If you want to listen to music as close as possible of the way the original artist made it, there is only one correct "way".

If you want to make your own mix of original music with added distortions, that is not part of technical audio reproduction anymore. Call it "art" if that floats your boat.

I am sorry but I do not share your opinion.

Yes, such distortion measurements are interesting, but not necessarily determinative of perceived sound quality by themselves. Else, we would all build or purchase only high-feedback solid-state amplification components.

Most of us do though (purchase only high-feedback solid-state amplification components). Most being people in the world. Other than for instrument amplifiers, that is.

None of us have a Ken Newton at home to plug in to perform our 'perceived sound quality' evaluations so how much further forward your observation is taking us is open to question.

Perhaps you guys who have such faith that there are perceptible but unmeasured and unmeasurable qualities in recorded music believe that you can swamp the opinions of the realists among us here but you should take note that your credibility with the general buying public diminishes daily, you are increasingly regarded as a fanatic rump, unworthy of serious consideration. Your opinions preponderate only where you congregate. Even Stereophile thinks it may have gone too far.

Please, you defenders of common sense and sensibility, however uncouth and untutored your expressions, keep them coming. It's time we drove these hi-falutin proponents of anti-intellectualism and pundits of the ineffectual back into their boxes for a while so that we can get on with some grounded DIY.

It wasn't the only one advocating such a configuration. Jocko Homo I think was the first (now is banned here, moved on a pesonal forum).
Requires special transistors (hard to find and need matching). Per Pass measurements the average THD is 0.01%. That is -80dB or less than 14 bit resolution (and not adding the noise).

Other aproach: Marantz tried the discrete OpAmp HDAM from 90's (in CD-63-SE for example). I still have to hear one to belive it.
Mark Levinson and Musical Fidelity tried the path of discrete OpAmps too. Burson Audio sells them too. Heck, even I buid a few (bipolars, jfet) in 80's.
Again, results are nothig spectacular compared with the new crop of integrated OpAmps.

About the claim "measures bad but sounds good": http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/discu...our-ears-lie-where-does-truth-lie-examination

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.