ID this mid horn

ID this mid horn (Community VB790?)

Anyone recognize these? Friend is selling and might be able to pickup cheap. Any other thoughts welcome. Sarcasm encouraged...

Attachments

• DJmids.jpg
    DJmids.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,022
Last edited:
The throat is looking big so the gain will drop off in the low mid making this efficient in a narrow band say ~90-300 Hz, probably a makes for a gnarly loud kick and tom cab for live sound though. Something you should measure and listen to for a bit before you make the deal.

Thanks guys. Am I correct these do not appear to be some highly sought vintage stuff I could potentially flip? These are basically as is and from what I am told, priced accordingly. I imagine $50 or less. No one around here is into the big horn stuff and homebrew cabs are very taboo. Funny you mention drums, as I vividly remember playing my first miked set on a system with cabs like these. Drums had thick skins that were slightly detuned and muffled and I guess I was fortunate sound guy knew his stuff, but I got some serious punch to say the least.

They are Community Light and Sound horns. I have a pair of those but have never run down the exact model number.

They really don't sound bad with a good driver like the JBL 2220. I think more than a truly loaded horn they are a stackable vented enlosure that also gives the possibility of getting a large format HF horn signal aligned in the days before DSP.

Subwoofer required. :)

Barry.

Thanks hack! Good to know. That makes sense, lots of Community gear around here. I like the stuff. Sub duties already taken care of with Art's Keystone, so this would be a slam cabinet (tilted to low mids) to me. Tempted to grab the HF horn in the pic too and maybe rebuild cab and mount HF driver in bass horn, pseudo coaxial. In the mood for some saw dust until the cad works is done on the SynTripp...

Did some more digging. From what I found the model # is 4896, as in, it takes one sheet of ply to build them. Apparently, these were based on the Altec A7 but made much more efficient. It was very interesting to research as I've come to find out that Community did a lot of horns and are well known for them. I didn't know... Sent an email to Community to see what I can dredge up.

So my buddy, says $50 for the stack of all the horns. I will probably bite and my back will regret it, but I am kinda enamored with them a this point. Might build some new cabs and stain them and park them in the house like some of you cats do here. Very curious what drivers are in there and if they are not blown or can be reconed. Very much doubt JBL but some old Gauss or EV would be fine with me.

Mine had EV EML15's in them. Maybe they were beat near to death but the JBL 2220's sound way better to me.

For Community tops look for a pair of 2" throat RH60's or BRH90's. The RH60 (radial horn 60 degree) is my favorite large format high frequemcy horn.

Cool you found a part number for them and the price is a steal.

Have fun!

Barry.

I had my buddy measure them and they are big. Like stove sized. 32X34. I kinda knew that. Worst news is no drivers... :mad: I think there might be drivers in the HF tho.

Can anyone point me in the direction of JBL driver info? I am lost in a sea of 220X drivers and no idea what the differences... From what I can tell I can pick up some drivers for nearly the price of a recone job $120ish. Was worried we were talking $500 boutique JBL stuff...

Barry, the same place that I found the info about these mentions the BRH too. I am a sucker for good less popular gear and this sure fits the bill.

On the JBL side to me the highest sound quality 15" midbass horn driver is the 2220, then the E145, if you are going to beat them to death use a 2227.

The 2220 has an underhung voice coil and a light cone that sounds great in a horn. If you are really hard on them you can wrinkle the cones but never in a mid bass application in a house. JBL still has 2220 cone kits on the shelf.

Barry.

Community got back to me. They said the 4896 was the name of the driver and the flare was the VB790. I got a few more hits searching that. They are held in good regard. Spec wise these had to be a big deal in the day, early 80's from what I can tell, 104dB 1W 45-800hz. That's impressive to me today...

Mine (soon to be) appear to slightly different with the KEYSTONE shaped vent. Maybe a custom thing, I don't know. Here's what they sent and I have requested plans. Maybe my buddy measured them wrong but it appears the cabinet is oversized from the original plans. Once again maybe a custom thing.

Even cooler is this pic I found which is exactly what I had envisioned including metal bracket...

Attachments

• VB790.jpg
    VB790.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 306
  • VB790lo.pdf
    403.2 KB · Views: 277
Mine have the keystone vent as well. These I have never found a spec sheet for. How different they are I don't know.

Looking at the HF horns again they look like they could be Emilar EH-500's. There are quite a few horns that look like that but the EH-500 is a very good sounding horn.

The Community paper got me thinking that maybe I should try a JBL 2440 18" in them, hmmmm.

So the horns have a new home. Some surprises. The bass horns are actually in great shape... The cabinet is covered in fiberglass so the scuffing in the pictures is just scratched paint. They will clean up well with just paint. They are extremely well built so I think these were factory made and not DIY. Still no ID or other info inside cabs... The HF cabs are Kustom MT15 with a "custom added" Gollehon M80 crossover/pad. Larger horn has no ID but is cast aluminum. Mid driver is an EV 1824 and the 4 HF appear to be EV T350. All in all appears to be a decent 3 way setup from some time ago. A little lost on what to do with them at this point. I was kinda going in the direction of 2 way kinda VOTT look with HF horn sitting on the bass horns. Wonder if the aluminum horn is any good for 2 way. To me, it's a beast. If heavy means better then this stuff is killer :D Funds are a little tight so any recommendation for budget minded drivers/horns would be helpful. Later I can source some esoteric stuff I think.

Larger horn has no ID but is cast aluminum. Mid driver is an EV 1824 and the 4 HF appear to be EV T350.

Wonder if the aluminum horn is any good for 2 way. To me, it's a beast. If heavy means better then this stuff is killer :D Funds are a little tight so any recommendation for budget minded drivers/horns would be helpful.
Zwiller,

The EV 1824 is a good mid driver, on the right horn can do 500 (or even lower) to 5000 Hz, but the phenolic diaphragm won't "tweet", which is what the T350s are good at.

The aluminum EV 8HD diffraction horn was often used with the 1824, if that is what you have, it should be mounted vertically, long axis up and down.

Art