ICs and speaker cables confusion

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I mentioned them in an earlier post and they were in reference to the sound, I heard, coming out of my speakers. FWIW the switch from XLO Ultra 6 to the Mil. Spec. wire was the only change.

The Mil. Spec. wire produced, a more closed in sound, less dynamics and smaller sound stage. I also had to turn up the volume knob on the preamp a little to get the same loudness. Nothing scientific, no meters, just differences I heard.

I just replaced the Mil. Spec with my old XLO and the more open, more dynamic and larger sound stage came back along with the need to turn down the volume knob.

The silver plated OFC Mil. Spec wires were bare wire terminated. The XLO cables have unplated solid copper spades and, according to old XLO literature, they are pure copper. I don't know if that means they are OFHC copper like the wires or OFC. I do have an RCL meter so i'll put batteries in it and check them and report back.

My thought is that the Mil. Spec wire is silver plated OFC versus many, OFHC solid 27AWG, wires each in its own teflon jacket. The Mil. Spec. wire is just wound strands and the XLO is wound in a, maybe more, technically beneficial manner. The only similarity is both have the whole group of wires jacketed in teflon. Reading Thorsten Loesch's cable writings, what I think I got from it, is that small individually insulated strands, cw and ccw wound, can lead to a good sounding cable. I'm not an EE, so what do I know, but I think I have good ears.

Sounds like audio myth more than science....

May saying "good sounding cable" was a poor choice of words. I probably should have said something like, I think the Mil. Spec. cable has more undesirable characteristics than the XLO, in my experience.

Why use mil spec, many cables are mil spec, it does not point to a type of cable just one that conforms to a specification.... Again mil spec is used as an audiophile charm.....

The silver plated OFC Mil. Spec wires were bare wire terminated. The XLO cables have unplated solid copper spades and, according to old XLO literature, they are pure copper. I don't know if that means they are OFHC copper like the wires or OFC. I do have an RCL meter so i'll put batteries in it and check them and report back.

The purity of the copper isn't going to have much if any effect...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen-free_copper

No, sorry, it is not just about resistance... I think if I have time and resource (a.k.a. motivation) I think I may be able to find out what makes cables sound different...

Or may be I have already know... the big picture...

No its about resistance, capacitance and inductance.... there is a lot of audiophile BS out there regarding crystal boundaries etc. but the majority is BS or phenomena that affects high frequencies signals such as skin effect are touted...
Cables in audio is one a shining example of the myths and BS that is presented as fact in our hobby...
As I and many others have stated before every cable can be measured and its affects on a signal quantified down to minutest detail, these changes for well engineered cables are minute and cannot be heard...

No its about resistance, capacitance and inductance....

Agree wholeheartedly...

every cable can be measured and its affects on a signal quantified down to minutest detail

Agree again... wholeheartedly... but not in a level where DMM or LCR meter can be useful...

these changes for well engineered cables are minute and cannot be heard...

This is where you make blanket statement and generalization... And I disagree wholeheartedly...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
This is where you make blanket statement and generalization... And I disagree wholeheartedly...

Is there any evidence for you disagreement or just a belief that you have some magic ears beyond the ability of science to detect? I you believe that you make bats seem deaf, good on you, but Marce is right in his 'blanket statement'. No one has yet managed to come up with a difference that is audible in blind testing without there being clear measurable differences and one cable being poorly designed or implemented.

Is there any evidence for you disagreement or just a belief that you have some magic ears beyond the ability of science to detect?

I wont claim that my ears are beyond the ability of science to detect (because that's wrong), and I wont claim that my ears are better than bats' (because that's wrong). But my disagreement is based on my experience in hearing subtle sound differences others can't... (and that's not an insult!)

I taught Physics, I trained people to use oscilloscope. Hearing subtle sound differences is not a sin, and nothing to be proud of... I'm not trying to claim anything. In fact, I'm happier to keep my experience for myself...

No one has yet managed to come up with a difference that is audible in blind testing without there being clear measurable differences and one cable being poorly designed or implemented.

I think, nobody said they can hear sound when there is no measurable difference... Isn't that your assumption?

No its about resistance, capacitance and inductance....

there is a lot of audiophile BS out there regarding crystal boundaries etc.

Do you think the crystal boundary, skin effect, or whatever doesn't affect R, C or L?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I wont claim that my ears are beyond the ability of science to detect (because that's wrong), and I wont claim that my ears are better than bats' (because that's wrong). But my disagreement is based on my experience in hearing subtle sound differences others can't... (and that's not an insult!)

I taught Physics, I trained people to use oscilloscope. Hearing subtle sound differences is not a sin, and nothing to be proud of... I'm not trying to claim anything. In fact, I'm happier to keep my experience for myself...

Oscilloscope isn't much use in measuring cables accurately.

If you can hear subtle differences in sighted tests you are most likely fooling yourself. If you want to keep the experience to yourself please do. Otherwise a training in physics should make you want you to explore this further.

Skin effect has an affect but not noticeable at audio frequencies....
Crystal boundaries.... any information on how they affect things in audio... in fact any notes on the effect of crystals on any signal...

Snake oil is perfectly understandable... Out of the box thinking is also understandable... I guess that they are just trying to understand... (Someone else is trying to make money... taking advantages from others' weaknesses...).

Do you think you can sell to me boutique cable with a quarter of market price? Haha no, you have no chance. But I like Black Gate N :D

Yet you waste many words purporting how you can hear differences no one else can.

The purpose of that is to open someone's mind, that there is logic to follow... Not bragging or whatever you think it is.

It's only one more step to hearing voices or using crystals to select components that match your aura...

I don't hear voices, I don't use crystals, but I DO select components that match my taste in sound...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.