IC for DC servo ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know some of you are "bored" with DC servo's ;) but I need some help replacing an Adcom part. Seems like the DC servo is bad, I need some generic that is robust and protected...

Any ideas guys?

This will go in a GFA-555. The part number is Adcom 3A (I have seen 1A in there too). I bet it's some generic re-labeled as Adcom.

Thanks!

If the device is a single opamp, an LF411 is a good, relatively inexpensive choice for a servo amp. It's JFET input, so the servo capacitors can be relatively small. The offset is also low. The LF412 will work in an application needeing a dual device. The OPA134 works nicely for a single device, but it's about twice as expensice as a LF411.

2002tii said:
According to Electrocompaniet the DC servo will affect the bass respons on the amplifier.
The OPA134 will sound better than LF411.
Of course the servo will affect the bass response! But this can be controlled by chosing parts and dimensioning the servo parameters. A good tool for this is LTSpice!

The opamp should have decent low distortion meaning do not use LM324/358 :no:

Thanks Guys,

I think I will try the AD711 and the AD745's. Basically I was working on the amp late----late-------- LATE night and re-cableing the whole thing and did the dumbest thing.... I interchanged the main B+ and B- cables.... :headshot:

I had the presence of mind to power up the amp via a fuse lamp (100 watt bulb) so I did not blow the outputs or drivers or anything ... I checked all Diodes and transistors... all checked ok with reference to the good channel.

The amp was dumping DC into the outputs.... Only after removing one input differential did the DC dump cease.... since the transistor checked ok (ie. the differential pair was ok) I conclude the only thing left was the DC servo and that could have gotten killed with the reversed polarity DC rails....

I was disraught and left the amp on the bench after that dumb mistake.... I have ordered some AD745's and a 8pin DIP socket. I will try in again with various opamps and see what works..

Any additional ideas (apart from not reversing B+ and B- ;) ) are welcome.

K-

Both the AD745 ot the AD711 will work in the application. The 745 is way, way overpriced for the job. So is the 711, but it is quite a bit cheaper. You need an amp with a reasonably high input impedance and very low offset. The bandwidth doesn't matter at all, as you are limiting the response to about 0.1 Hz. Distortion (for a good opamp) shouldn't matter too much either, as you are operating very close to DC, where you have close to full open loop bandwidth. An exception of course is the LM324/358 mentioned by Per Anders, as it has a lousy class B output stage, and its offset voltage isn't too good, anyway... I have used LF411/412 and OP07 for servo amplifiers, and have never noticed any problems. The more expensive chips will work just fine, but I consider it money stuffed down a rat hole....

The 555 uses a single supply to power the opamp, so when I replaced one, I wanted a rail-to-rail opamp capable of operating well off of a single supply, and also with tiny input bias currents.

The AD820 is the one. Perfect for the job. Too bad you already ordered. ;)

Thanks,

I actually ordered the AD711 not the AD745 from digikey at about $2.89 a pop. Adcom was selling their part for $11.50 !

By the way, anyone know what their ADC-55 and ADC-42 output devices are? They are supposed replacements for the no longer made Toshiba pair of 2sb554/ 2ds424 which Adcom used during the production runs of the 555/565/585's.

The devices look like ON/ Motorola TO-3 metal can casing.

I bet they are MJ15022/23 or 24/25's relabelled as Adcom parts. (Oh by the way, Adcom sells those for $10.50 a piece too ;) )

Cheers!

I took a look at the Digi-Key site, and was really surprised to see them offering AD product. At present, the actual number of devices in stock is pitifully small, but hopefully that will improve in the near future. The prices are better than Newark's, but that wouldn't take much....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.