IB by a door too "leaky"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
There's a rather pathetic sketch in post 9, I don't listen at high volume and it's for music not HT, so the idea was to help with the LF foundation more than Earth shattering special effects.

ah ! good, I see you plan on a force canceling mounting scheme. How much cubic footage is behind those woofers, and which drivers are you considering ?

Do you mean in the "cabinet" (very little), or the other side of the wall (half the house)? I'm using a pair of old KEF B139's that I had gathering dust. I don't know how much of the thread you've read but the idea is to augment the lowest octave as I have 4 12" in U frames below 125Hz

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Do you mean in the "cabinet" (very little), or the other side of the wall (half the house)? I'm using a pair of old KEF B139's that I had gathering dust. I don't know how much of the thread you've read but the idea is to augment the lowest octave as I have 4 12" in U frames below 125Hz

Okay, I went back and read the whole thread. here's my take and please
correct me if i have something wrong here:

You have a pair of KEF B139's mounted back-to-back, inside a cabinet, that is mounted in a wall. That's really not a "classic" infinite baffle. In your case the leak through the door in not significant at all. KEF B139's aren't really meant for sub duty. Having said that, you can get pretty good bass performance, if you use 2 per channel, in a properly sized vented cabinet. Unless, of course, you do like Wilson Audio did in his WAMM, where he placed them in a low-Q sealed box because he had his Magnat 18 inch woofers below it, for deep bass support. Using only a pair for bass support under an open baffle deal, could still work out pretty nice. The total enclosure net volume needs to be 8.2 cubic feet, tuned to 25Hz. Wall mounting yields a very large "baffle" with the absence of baffle step loss, so I can see where it might be thought of as an infinite baffle.

Yes they are mounted back to back, but the cabinet is in the room. There is a slot in the cabinet which fires through a corresponding slot through the wall. I don't think this is quite how you visualise it, I hope I have made it a bit clearer. As I see it, it is a kind of manifold system but the opposite way round to the usual set up.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.