IanCanada's Latest RPi GB Goodies Impressions... and your tweaks, mods and hints...

Hi folks, good evening to all of you. I have an issue streaming DSD256 trough FIFOpi Q7 to the 9038Q2MPi hat in sync mode. Up to DSD 128 everything is working nicely but DSD256 is playing in intermittent way. I'm streaming from Volumio via I2S, StationPi Pro, FifoPi Q7 9038Q2MPi hat. I've have tried increasing FifoPi buffering, enabling DOP decoding with no success. Do you have any hint on how to fix it/Throubleshoot? Many thanks in advance

DSD256 requires a lot of bandwidth. Also depends from where you stream - internet or local.
Also you are playing a DSD256 file? (no DSP upsampling / downsampling, volume leveling, EQ etc involved)
If DSP involved CPU is capable?

What driver are you using in Volumio? (I knew before DSD256 was achievable with RPI only with symphonic-mpd)

Hi Bogdan, thanks for you answer. I'm playing dsf files from NAS over a wired GE interface and this is not the bottleneck as I can play DSD256 natively over USB to the dual mono 9038Q2M audiophonics dac. I'm using the audiophonics 9038Q2M dual mono driver, but I've tried all of the available.
First of all I discovered there is no way to stream from volumio native DSD over I2S, it is always converting to PCM. I've been dazzled by the stellar specs of fifopi Q7 and I have not even consider a possible limitation like that on I2S. The only way is to use DoP but this is not changing the result.
Now the question (maybe for @iancanada) how to use FiFoPi Q7 at full potential. It has the capability up to native DSD1024 but I can only used for DoP up to DSD128 (even if should be capable to decode DoP up to DSD256 or native 1024). Is this a limitation from Volumio/linux Kernel, drivers?
Thanks!

Hi Bogdan, thanks for you answer. I'm playing dsf files from NAS over a wired GE interface and this is not the bottleneck as I can play DSD256 natively over USB to the dual mono 9038Q2M audiophonics dac. I'm using the audiophonics 9038Q2M dual mono driver, but I've tried all of the available.
First of all I discovered there is no way to stream from volumio native DSD over I2S, it is always converting to PCM. I've been dazzled by the stellar specs of fifopi Q7 and I have not even consider a possible limitation like that on I2S. The only way is to use DoP but this is not changing the result.
Now the question (maybe for @iancanada) how to use FiFoPi Q7 at full potential. It has the capability up to native DSD1024 but I can only used for DoP up to DSD128 (even if should be capable to decode DoP up to DSD256 or native 1024). Is this a limitation from Volumio/linux Kernel, drivers?
Thanks!
Raspberry Pi can't play/send native dsd via gpio...you must use amanero or similar device . Rpi usb to amanero to fifopi...with stationpi and amanero bridge.

You can use the LifePO4 Mini 6.6 to feed a 5V LDO, but the only thing is that the RPi consumes pretty high current so that the pure time will be short before trigger the protection mode.
thanks i will keep this in mind and calculate how long it takes to charge/discharge

and i can use 6,6V and 3,3V at the same time from one LifePo4 Mini 6.6V ?

but i just took a look at the purepi and its basicly what i need (tho the LifePo4 Mini 6.6V uses bigger batterys which might be beneficial, specially with powering the pi)

Of course we don't have to go to best of the best power supply out of the box. Things can be pretty satisfying with a linear power supply with a small 5v super cap on the output. Even more cost effective if cobbled together from the used parts bin. Later get another hit by upgrading to best of best.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course we don't have to go to best of the best power supply out of the box. Things can be pretty satisfying with a linear power supply with a small 5v super cap on the output. Even more cost effective if cobbled together from the used parts bin. Later get another hit by upgrading to best of best.
yea i agree im just looking for a costeffective solution right now but some builds look really amazing :D

tho im still curious how a LT3045 differs from pure battery
(and also how the transportpi Digi compares to Fifo Q7 + TransportPi MkII, its a shame that we dont get measurements or anything :( )

another option if i cant hook up 3,3V directly to the 6,6V Lipo4 Mini would be to use 6,6V Mini and one 5V ldo rail and another 3,3V ldo rail with both having supercapacitors at the output, i think this would make a good cheap option too

What's the main difference between active power supply such as low noise regulators, and the passive power supply such as pure ultra capacitors and batteries?
well, atleast with supercapacitors i think they are way cleaner then regulators and are able to give way higher amp spikes
batterys have mainly the benefit on not relying on the noisy grid but have there own noise (which i dont know how much)

atleast in theory i would say regulators dont matter that much IF you use supercapacitors afterwards preferably right next to the destination, so the cable length to the regulator actually acts as higher resistance to reject noise a little further

how do you see it ian? really curious
and im still not sure if i can hook up just one battery of the Lipo4 6,6V for a 3,3V rail, is this possible? this would give me the cleanest 3,3V while still being able to create 5V with a regulator or should i go the 2 regulator path for both 5V and 3,3V ?

@Ghoostknight

That really makes sense.

The another difference between active and passive power supplies could be:
All regulators and LDOs are the kind of control systems, they achieve the regulation by adjust the output according to the voltage error between the output and voltage reference. So the dynamic performance will be poor because it always need the error as feedback. That's the biggest problem of feedbacks. Some low noise LDOs may have good static performance, but it doesn't help to improve the dynamic performance. However in the real world, no load is really static. That's why we need passive power supply such as batteries and ultra capacitors for the clocks, DACs and other low noise applications.

Ian

Hey guys, I'm having a hard time getting things going with a PurePI, FifoPi Q2, 9028Q2MPi ESS DAC HAT, and Transformer I/V. I'm powering the DAC and FifoPi Q2 from the same 3v3 from the PurePi. I'm getting lots of snap, crackle, pop, even when nothing is playing. When music is playing, it skips and stutters. The DAC lock LED (green) flickers. Removing the FifoPi from the mix audio plays back fine. I've tried the FifoPi with both given clocks and with Crystek clocks and I get the same results. Also, I've tried different DPLL settings to no avail. I've connected MCLK from the FifoPi to the DAC hat and put S2 switch 1 to on. Anyone know what might be going on here?

Hello, I am interested in building a Pi-Based HQPlayer NAA endpoint with I2S over HDMI output running at DSD256 all the time to a PS Audio MK2 DAC. I know about the Holo Red. But I would like to build my own solution.

I have an ASRock mini-PC running Euphony Stylus with HQPlayer 5 embedded. I use USB cable out to the PS Audio DAC at present. But the USB connection is not totally reliable. I find the NAA ethernet connection to my other DAC, an exaSound with NAA built in, is more reliable.

I like the idea of a Pi CM4 module without all the USB etc connections of a Pi4. Which also means that I prefer not to mount a CM4 on an I/O board with all those extras on them either.

But I do need ethernet in as I live in a concrete house and WiFi is not reliable. And it sounds like I need an Ian Canada HdmiPi Pro too.

Any recommendations on a minimalist way to put these together? Special power supplies and clocks could come later if relevant. I just want the minimum now for a big-picture trial.

BTW, my recollection from the past was the I2S hats on Pi’s were limited to DSD128 output. I take it, given the Holo Red, as well as the spec on the HdmiPi Pro, that this is no longer the case. Is PCIe involved?

Also, I2S over HDMI does not have a standard. So need to be able to get compatibility with the PS Audio. At least the PS Audio has switchable I2S polarity and DSD left-right channels. So usually I can find a common middle ground.

OK, for the build of an HQPlayer NAA endpoint with I2S over HDMI output to a PS Audio DAC, I have done a bit more research, including finding the Ian Canada board user manuals. Reads like I2S over HDMI output matches PS Audio DAC needs. So hopefully that is good.

Do I understand though that some kind of FIFO board is needed to use the HDMIPi Pro board?

And to pass at least DSD256, should the FIFO board be the Q7? Any alternatives with less “reclocking” going on?

To use a Pi CM4, my favourite base board so far is the Waveshare Nano-B. It still has a lot of features that I just do not need though. But building my own base board is not in my spare time allowance.

I am really just looking for a base board that gives me Ethernet and GPIOs for the CM4 and some way to load software to the CM4. Plus maybe power for the CM4.

Any other recommendations or advice to go completely differently much appreciated.