I2S has me confused

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well it works in SPDIF mode & the only thing I'm changing is the Fsel pin to low - I'll double check the I2S lines routing - I gave some DM readings above of the various I2S lines.

How can I use a scope to check the outputs - any suggestions, apart from bring it to somebody who knows what they're doing?

The system clock on PCM2706 is 12MHz - I don't have control over anything else that I can see - It's using USB so I presume output is 48KHz. On the TAS5076 for 48KHz
MCLK_in is 12.288MHz
SCLK is 3.072 MHz
How do I know what PCM2706 is outputting - there's no mention in the datasheet? Can I control these if different from above - I think not?

Very refreshing, must do that more often.

On the one hand you have the PCM2706. The datasheet clearly states that the USB clock, XTI, an input, is 12MHz. SYSCK , one of the outputs of the I2S interface, is 256Fs and all lines are outputs meaning it will only operate as master.
On the other, you have the TAS5076, a device that will operate as master or slave. Which brings us back to Table 2_2.

Hey rfrbr,
I know this is frustrating for you & I didn't direct the questions to you only, I was hoping others would chime in.

on TAS5076 M_S & DBSPD are both low & LRCLK is 48KHz so MCLK-IN is 256fs = 12.288MHz. Everything check.

So where does this leave SCLK at 3.02MHz?

I know this is probably spoon feeding to you but I've lost the spoon! Does anybody else want to field this one?

1. Is XTL_IN, pin79 of the TAS5076, grounded ?
2. Is SYSCK from the PCM2706 connected to MCLK_IN of the TAS5076 ?
3. Can you post the service manual ?

It might also be necessary to force the I2C registers to their default values by disconnecting the microcontroller assuming, that is, it is present.

1 Yes
2 Yes
3 Service manual here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/5422093/4db6362a/Digital_Amps_Service_Manuals.html

I wont do any mods to microcontroller as this is a working amp and I intend to keep it that way! All I wanted to do was connect in I2S to compare it to SPDIF.

Not as simple as I assumed it to be from reading threads here! Looks like I'm backing off from this.

TBH, the way you post your answers give the impression that you know the solution & I'm just not getting it - I wouldn't have wasted your & my time if I had realised you didn't!!!

Lots of gotchas in here!!!!!!!!!!

Of course but you have to take into account the parameters/limits within which the problem/issue is being defined - in this case a very good working amp which nobody in their right mind would disable all other working functions for one new function.

Are you capable of programming the microprocessor within this amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.