I want to understand amplifiers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
That's O.K. I did not mean to take it the wrong way, it just sounded a little flamey. But the links were very helpful.

Full range? Really. I do not know much about them. Do they produce as well as seperate drivers? How is the bass extenstion, high freqeuncy. I have heard good things but I have always been a fan of tweeters, despite their occasional ornary and difficult nature.

I am in college for Drafting and Design. My final exam project is going to be an amplifier and loudspeaker. I plan on lots of custom machine work. Thanks for all the replies.

I usually try not to post two times in a row but.........I just did.

Much like the suggestion to read the original Zen articles, I discovered the Quater Wave site a few years ago as well. It is one of the sites that influenced my love for transmission lines. I remember seeing this particular Fostex project but I never really paid much attention to the details.

I think it is time to travel outside of my comfort zone and try a fullrange project. Thank you for enlarging my view or hearing range rather. :D

Opus, Maybe I could explain further, without beating a dead horse.
The basic Pass philosophy, would be to design an amplifier as simple and linear as posible. Very often, this will mean lower gain than most, due to the linearizing methods. This will also limit the amount of signal that can be used for feedback (another method to regain linearity). Some Pass designs use no feedback at all! If the designer has paid carefull attention to maintaining linearity, excess feedback is not necessary. So the lower gain turns out to be not a big deal. And the sound may be just as good as a higher gain, higher feedback designs.
There is a presumption in this forum, that I also prescibe to, that using any more feedback than is necessary causes other, hearable, probelms, mostly due to phase shift differences between the input and the negative feedback. Most of these problems are not quite characterized by our typical THD measurements. They are certainly not seen in any test comparable to the dynamics of music covering the audio bandwith simultaneously. Therefore, reasonable gain and low amounts of feedback are the norm here. A typical OpAmp might be the flip side of what I just said. 5 or more stages of gain that may total a million or more. generally 10,000X of that gain is used for feedback, to make it work in a linear manor. These problems are ussually addressed with some of the descrete op-amp designs.
I'm generally not the best at explaining things but, I think I covered that consisely enough, without filling the your monitor with to much Bla Bla... You will see similar but better explanations From Pass and Self and Hood:D :D :D

As if I should post again:D :D :D The full Range Bis is another perceived benifit of the simple but linear phiolosophy. In a typical 2 way or 3-way speaker design, your amplifier is not really driving just 8 ohms. It has to deal with inductance capacitance etc. of the crossover. Not a easy task! And if that is not enough, all these inductors and capacitors are in parallel and series combinations with 2 or 3 different speakers. Not only is this difficult for the amp, it is difficult to design the speaker system and still expect phase and amplitude integrity of the audio output.
By dispensing with all these various reactive components and relying on a well built full range speaker, there is great potential for much improved sound. Nelson has a couple of good papers dealing with these ideas also. That is why we are here...
O.K. I'm going to go find a good book:D :D :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.