• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I think I made a mistake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Costis: It's the 'Golden Ears Measurement System' . I wish I had one......;)
Pass the audio dictionary, please!
Quoting from the article by Jon L (all this in one page...)

"liquidity "smoothness,"
which pleasant but not kick-you-in-the-groin resolution or power
infinite shades of resolution riding on the oh-so-smooth sonic flow.
detail
punch that slams harder and
detail or speed
jet-black, noise-free background
Presentation of both are so natural and non-attention-seeking.
music remains inviting, refined, and eminently enjoyable, as opposed to fatiguing, wearing thin, and distracting.
richer presentation from top-to-bottom
a bit creamier textures and a bit closer imaging
renders more proportion of recordings more tasty.
more harmonic "bloom" over the notes makes music both sexier and less
the small amount of gold compound mixed with silver does seem to add just a wee bit extra harmonic richness and warmth.
come-hither midrange that is colorful without being colored,
full of rich textures,
bristling with life and vividness.
I may respect some other caps more, but I love the Mundorf silver/gold like family
incredible "low-loss" sound.
every little detail comes through
musical speed does not get impeded
Bass is taught (sic) punchy
treble extension soars
midrange seems linear
the harmonic beauty of the music, the "soul" if you will:
overtones upon overtones gently bubbling to the surface
does not seem as developed 3-D wise
2-dimensional and "flat."
more dry (less bloomy) presentation, there is less involvement.
sound is technically superior and "uncolored,"
an order of magnitude better than pretty much any other "cheap" cap you can buy.
judiciously mixing them with tube magic elsewhere to come out with supreme results
Teutonic charm, everything sounds just-so and perfectly musical
"It is very fast, but full and rich.
The presentation is ultra smooth without loss of detail, focus, or dynamics."
richer and a smidge creamier
a bit denser, darker, therefore subjectively a wee bit smoother through the midranges
minus the treble roll-off or bass slowness
teeny bit more transparent and lit-up,
*consistently* transparent/lit-up throughout its ranges
no peaks or bumps here even though the whole range is better lit-up.
there seems to my ears a very narrow band, somewhere at the highest end of female vocal sibilance to top-hats, that appears to have the tiniest bit more "sparkle" than the rest of the range.
a bit too literal or "sterile"

@VictoriaGuy: Maybe you are forgetting that music is one the most emotional arts. Aren't we all trying to get as close to the inner source of this emotional art? IMO colorful language suits listening test descriptions. BTW, I TOTALLY agree with Jon L. in ALL cases. It is exactly the same what I found out for myself. You just can't measure everything...

@VictoriaGuy: Maybe you are forgetting that music is one the most emotional arts. Aren't we all trying to get as close to the inner source of this emotional art? IMO colorful language suits listening test descriptions. BTW, I TOTALLY agree with Jon L. in ALL cases. It is exactly the same what I found out for myself. You just can't measure everything...
I don't want to pull this off-topic...so a few last words and 'I'm outta here..'

Perhaps, but can we measure anything?

If there really are the dramatic tonal differences described, wouldn't that show up in a measurement of some kind?

Frequency response spectrum?

And, what is : fast, accurate, dense, etc etc......these are meaningless terms. Unless you are the recording engineer, how do you know if what you are hearing is 'accurate'?

Anyway, I'm really impressed with some folks and their 'audio memory'. They can hear very subtle differences in sound quality, with an interval of some time (open amp, unsolder cap, etc). Sometimes even days pass between listening sessions.

Happy listening!
;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
since Im short on cash... if I change the ouput and chokes to lundhal do the values of my caps and resistors changes also vhanges or those are independant?

which means I could first upgrade all the caps and resistors and then when the funds allows me I would upgrade the output transformers and choke. Can I do that?

Is it not noisy? Do you like the sound? Then leave it like that! Just replace the carbon comp resistors that make more hiss and drift in value. Since you are in Canada, Lundahls cost dearly, and you 'd have to drill more holes on the chassis....
Other people here think on visual terms (like the photo). Think with your ears. Attached photo of resistors I bought downtown today

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
since Im short on cash... if I change the ouput and chokes to lundhal do the values of my caps and resistors changes also vhanges or those are independant?

which means I could first upgrade all the caps and resistors and then when the funds allows me I would upgrade the output transformers and choke. Can I do that?
? It mayb be a ridiculous question but Im not sure...

@costis: if I can make my amp sounds better I dont see why I wouldnt try!

? It mayb be a ridiculous question but Im not sure...

@costis: if I can make my amp sounds better I dont see why I wouldnt try!

Sure, by all means! Asthere is no feedback around the transformer, you ll hear big difference. But, as other guys say here, your transformers are very decent already, maybe explore some other options first. The question remains: Do you like what you are hearing, right now?

Perhaps, but can we measure anything?

If there really are the dramatic tonal differences described, wouldn't that show up in a measurement of some kind?

Happy listening!
;)

Good question about measurement.

You can have 2 amps from 2 different manufacturers measuring (identical THD and K2, K3, K4 etc, freq. resp. etc, speed etc) nearly the same but sound-wise different galaxies. This example is not hypothetical, it is real existent.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Sure, by all means! Asthere is no feedback around the transformer, you ll hear big difference. But, as other guys say here, your transformers are very decent already, maybe explore some other options first. The question remains: Do you like what you are hearing, right now?
okay yeah thats what I will do. I simply cant afford lundhals right now.

I need to know if I change the transformer to lundhals(in about 6 month) will I keep the same caps and resistors value or they will need to be adjusted to meet the lundahl transformers??????

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
The school that gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside! Simple as that.

Seriously though, I really really really cannot believe the microphonics and hiss are coming from the powersupply resistors!
The most interesting voltages for me would be on the anodes of the phase splitter, this wil tell if the differential amp is in balance at least.
Ill do that and report

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
Quote costis_n:The most interesting voltages for me would be on the anodes of the phase splitter, this wil tell if the differential amp is in balance at least."

The voltage you asked are indicated in my schematics but I dont know if they are okay. The voltage are at the V4. How can I know if they measure fine?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.