I now officially hate M-Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I had a MidiMan (now M-audio) 2044 sound card in an old computer that I had. That machine ran win98 until I was dummm enough to try Windows ME. The ensuing frustration resulted in a broken (physically) computer. The next machine ran Windows 2000. M-audio said that they were working on a driver for it. I got tired of waiting for the driver, so I bought an Audiophile 2496. It worked well, and still does. I use it for amplifier measurements, and audio production with Sonar. Now 7 years later, that driver for the 2044 card never did happen.

I always built my own computers (yes I have an internet connection and Newegg), but I was short on time so I ordered a new machine from one of those multi page adds in Computer Shopper. The price was very close to the price of all of the parts from Newegg. It was the biggest POS I have ever dealt with which took me 2 months to get working. Tech support put me on infinite hold, and it took them 1 month and daily nagging to replace a bad memory module. It also came with the 64 bit version of XP, which was highly reccomended by Cakewalk. DON'T go there. 64 bit XP is worse than Vista. There are absolutely no drivers for anything. I eventually punted and reloaded 32 bit XP pro.

I needed a soundcard for the new computer, and I almost ordered another Audiophile 2496, but there was no driver for 64 bit XP. Musicians Friend had an E-MU 1212M PCI card on sale for $99 at the time. This card is 24 bit 192 KHz using "the same A/D converters used in Digidesign's flagship ProTools HD 192 I/O Interface delivering an amazing 120dB signal-to-noise ratio". It also has an on board DSP for reverb and other effects. I got one, and it is absolutely awesome. Yes, I run it through a tube amp. It sounds so good that I bought another 750GB of hard drive space and am in the process of copying all of my CD's on to the hard drive. I might even have to make another PC with another 1212M just to play music. Kind of like an iPOD on steroids. It will likely run Linux.

I just read the reviews in the thread above. It would seem that people either hate this card or love it, very little in between. I have had mine for 7 months now, and I have not heard the clicks or crackles described by some of the reviewers. The Patch Mix DSP sofftware is not user friendly at all. I fiddled around with it until I got what I wanted, and made those settings the default power up settings. CD's and DVD's sound very nice (most reveiwers had similar experiences) and my recordings sound great.

jneutron said:

I'm running '95 on an 11 axis coordinated motion (widgit). '98 on a 13 axis machine. Really really fun to program and use, multidimentional (spelling intentional) motion in 4 and five space..

But to really make ya jealous, they both be struttin their stuff on P-150's.....total speed platforms I tell ya..:bigeyes:

And ISA bus....top that dude...

ps...The IT guys made me run an air gap isolation to the network, nobody supports antivirus anymore on 95 and 98.

Cheers, John

Old equipment is often seen in industrial applications because once the system works there is no reason to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

So, 11 and 13 axis motion control, want to give us a hint as to what you're doing? I did a 6 axis robotic pick and place system recently.

I can probably top that, you can still find 486 DX2-66 Multibus I boards for sale that are used in industrial automation, new old stock that is.

Pete B.

Hi SY,

According to this stie the M-Audio Audiophile Driver v. 5.10.00.0051 should work under Vista. This driver is the one I am using with de Audiophile192 under W2K. But maybe it wil not work on a later build of Vista?

Btw, at work we ordered 4 PC’s from Dell 2 weeks ago and they came with XP, although it took a little force to Dell to deliverer them with XP instead of Vista.

Cheers ;)

Ok, good luck! Stay away from Vista for the moment. It is really bad that MS came with an operating system that disables a lot of what you have.

The only purpose of Vista is to make money for MS as much as possible and in some sense to rule the world according to MS. But that is nothing new ;)

It is really bad that MS came with an operating system that disables a lot of what you have.

This is nothing new. Windows ME + Netscape 4.7 = dead computer. The feud between MS and Netsacpe 7 years ago left many people with fragged hard drives. I was one of them, multiple times until I begrudgingly switched to IE5 and the random lockups and hard drive corruption stopped.

Many of my TechnoGeek friends who rushed out and installed Vista have switched back to XP. I just switched from 2000 to XP on my latest computer, because some of my hardware required it. I won't use Vista until I absolutely have to.

PB2 said:
Old equipment is often seen in industrial applications because once the system works there is no reason to upgrade for the sake of upgrading.

Absolutely. There's about two to three man years involved in any upgrade we want. Unfortunately, I only have two machines, and they cannot be taken down for that length of time.

PB2 said:
So, 11 and 13 axis motion control, want to give us a hint as to what you're doing? I did a 6 axis robotic pick and place system recently.

I plant superconducting wire onto support tubes using a continuous ultrasonic welding technique to make accelerator quality magnets for high energy physics. Things like antimatter confinement bottles, particle beam focussing magnets, and MRI high speed field modulators.

Half a million points in the wire path (maximum), and the wire placement has to be within 100 millionths of an inch over a 4 meter long 1 inch diameter tube. Luckily, that is the average and not wire to wire, as the insulation thickness variation far exceeds that number.

Honestly, it only excites me...when working properly, it's more boring than watching grass grow..

Cheers, John

ps...Cornell....yuk..;)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Dan,
He only needs XP again.

Microsoft's latest is yet another pain in the **s. They always release in a beta format and aren't production ready until Microsoft reaches the next major release. Even then, this stuff isn't production ready. Drivers may not be stable for a while and expect a fixpak to break them. After that, your software will be deemed not valid and your system will lose functions quickly.

What a game.

-Chris

Get my @#&!ing XP machine working again (I've already had my thread of woe)! I'm using a Vista machine which can't connect to the data disk in my main lab computer (XP). My sister, the family computer whiz, has now pitched in and is getting me a proper installation disk. Hopefully, it's a matter of just a few days before I'm made whole again. ;)

I can't believe that they changed the hard disk connection ports on new computers. Like that was actually necessary, other than to obsolete fifteen years worth of hardware at once.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
SY said:
I can't believe that they changed the hard disk connection ports on new computers. Like that was actually necessary, other than to obsolete fifteen years worth of hardware at once.

You must be talking about the SATA drivers vs. IDE. You should find that even new motherboards still have IDE support. Things change though and I could be wrong. Failing that you can buy SATA to IDE converters.

BTW haven't you noticed the new SATA interface is much faster than the old IDE? :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.