I need to drop about 5 Volt in an elegant manner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is my suggestion.

Regards!

Attachments

• screenshot.1.jpg
    screenshot.1.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 395
LM317 input to output voltage difference allowed is 35 volts maximum. If there is input bypass, which means if there r any capacitors across the supply of the driver(which is quite possible), they will short the output for a very short time. This condition will drop more than 35 volts across the 317 and will become RIP.

On a second thought, why not use a resistor.

Gajanan Phadte

Last edited:
LM317 input to output voltage difference allowed is 35 volts maximum. If there is input bypass, which means if there r any capacitors across the supply of the driver(which is quite possible), they will short the output for a very short time. This condition will drop more than 35 volts across the 317 and will become RIP.

On a second thought, why not use a resistor.

Gajanan Phadte

There is an LM317HV version, you can also use the TL783.

There is an LM317HV version, you can also use the TL783.

Be careful with MOST regulators. It is very easy to exceed Vin-Vout without thinking about it.

If you assume that the load will have a capacitor across the supply - then Vout at Switch-On will invariably be 0V all-be-it for only a short period of time.

If Vin exceeds 40V with Vout = 0V then the 317 regulator will DIE.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
I think i will try astankov's circuit first. Thanks a lot.
As for the input capacitor bypass, it is obvious a small cap is needed.
Most of simplistic solutions will be destroyed if there is a bypass cap: when you connect the supply, the cap is not charged, and zener/pseudo-zener/regulator will have to sustain the full charging voltage and current, for some microseconds or milliseconds.
This is normally sufficient to destroy them, if not the first time then after a reasonable number of attempts.

5v 100ma? 10mm 1w amber+white+R, which is 2v+3v and a tiny current drop for protection. That seems a bit more elegant than lighting up black diodes. :)
-or-
5v zener + R parallel to another 5v zener + R parallel to another 5v zener + R, but unfortunately, diode current handling doesn't double in parallel, it only increase 1.5x.
-or-
Or a series string of 1n5407, since their surge capacity can fairly easily handle charge up of the bypass caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.