i need and GOOD active XO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ha Ha Ha. What a stupid idea!

Seriously, the op-amp would be quite unhappy with this arrangement. Anyway, the inductors value would have to be large, perhaps a pot core type. This general plan would only give a 6db/o rolloff which is already know to have superior phase characteristics but insufficient rolloff for most applications. There are better ways to get the job done.

Back to the drawing board.

First of all, the inclusion of op-amps as buffers will be regarded by many as worse than having a cap in the signal path.

Second, as I mentioned, 6db/o slopes are not sufficient in most circumstances. You have to have a remarkable set of drivers to get away with first order filters.

Third, to suggest the the shorting element (cap or coil) is not in the signal path is wrong.

Yes, 6db/o filters cause the least amount of phase problems.

This could be done passively in a bi-amp situation without the need for buffers.

Yes, your plan is workable if it is refined but really would not qualify as a serious contender in bi-amp arena without the aforementioned remarkable set of drivers.

You would be better off if you replaced the shunt inductor with a series cap to the high frequency amp. A series cap is not as bad as you seem to think.

The only place that I see this type of filter to be useful is for a cross from a very small mid-range with great high frequency response to a tweeter with a low resonance frequency. The crossover frequency would be in the area of 4-6KHz. I am currently doing such a system but the crossover will be high level passive; inductor in series with mid, cap in series with tweet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.