• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I need a tube buffer circuit using a 12au7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This example has an output impedance of ~65Ω.

With this tube and voltage, it is probably difficult to do much better.

Attachments

• VacBuf.png
    VacBuf.png
    116 KB · Views: 1,297
Note that U2 works with a slightly positive bias; this is because the valves operate with less than 50V Vak, which is really short.

However, this is not detrimental to the performances since U2 operates in a quasi stasis mode (except maybe for the input impedance): the THD remains below 0.007%

If you want to avoid that mode, you can reduce the string current, by increasing R1 for example.
But this will also increase the output impedance. Depends on where your priorities are.

I do not know how to plot output impedance with ohm-scale.
Can you assist a little ?
First, you have to plot a quantity expressed in ohm. The most obvious form is U/I, in this case the current and voltage from the stimulus source and the node of interest, but it can be a more complex mathematical expression (right-click on a trace name to enter it). LTspice makes a dimensional analysis and plots the result in the correct units.
Next, you have to change the left axis from decibel to linear: Plot settings --> Manual limits.
That's it

I have done it, but the results differs from the one achieved with traditional method,
i.e. using two different load resistances and calculating : (U1-U2)/(I2-I1) = Zout.
The result with your method is (@ 1kHz) 73,8 ohms and with the above method 55 ohms.

I make some other simulations.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.