• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I meet Mr. Morgan Jones

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like everyone in this bandwagon does send things up in smoke once in a while.....no matter how careful they are.

I'll never forget testing a new power amp circuit in our living room. It sounded quite nice and after a few minutes I went out to get a drink. I hastened back when I heard my mother frantically yelling that the amp was on fire ! It was !
Several resistors caught fire and there was a large amount of smoke . Mom couldn't understand why I took it so cool !:)

Hmmm... and I was considering offering to have you visit here... after that story I am not sure I can stand the financial 'hit'!! :bigeyes:

But seriously, can you expect us to actually *believe* this very tall tale based only upon an image of some bottles on the floor of some unknown room? We want to *see* the evidence for ourselves!!

:D

signed,

skeptical in NY

_-_-bear

PS. are you sure you met with the proper "Mr. Jones"?? And maybe you were drunk and it was actually London, Ontario, Canada??

Last edited:
Here is Mr. Jones in my basement lab demonstrating the correct technique for fabricating speaker boxes.

I was demonstrating the technique and utility of Heyser plots for detecting speaker box resonances- that worked fine. Unfortunately, he then felt obligated to demonstrate his method for measuring leakage inductance in output transformers... no photos of that, I was busy cursing.

Note that this is an add-on to an old thread, since the subjects are related. We are most decidedly in Illinois at the moment.

Attachments

• heyser plots.JPG
    heyser plots.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 369
  • heyser plots 2.JPG
    heyser plots 2.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 361
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We each have the bad habit of only wanting to write about things where we actually have data. Of course, our data from yesterday are comprised most of the aftermath of showers of sparks, followed by smoke, followed by silence.

Yeah, I know the feeling. Gets boring after the umpteenth time.
Only two days ago I took a screwdriver to the output pins of my new 200V regulator. Boring, really.

jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.