I made myself a record cleaner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Audiomix said:
The mixture is 7 parts of destilled water (or norwegian spring water!), 1 part of alcohol and a little synthetic detergent. Just enough to break up the surface.
After we have heard som concerns about erroding the vinyl, we will do some long term testing to see.
Will you let me do the testing Lars?

Yes Audiomix, you are welcomed to do that. And what is long term?
A year? 2 ? 10?
I have probably damaged many records within that amount of time :D

Lars

Ok, here I go again :)
The next problem that showed up, was that the wheel covered the panel on the washer. ouch.
Well, the solution is shown on the picture. But it is not a permanent one. Something has to be done to improve.

DSC_0673.jpg

DSC_0672.jpg

DSC_0671.jpg

Lars

240z4u said:
Once again, looks excellent. You should be proud of that thing!!

Evan

Thanks, and I am :D

I have washed 40 records today, and 10 more are being wash as "we speak":D

And they really shine afterwards.
I'm a bit sad though. My left ear has gone bad. Almost like a tinitus feeling. It's some kind of sound in it, and at the same time it's gone almost deaf. Not a dream situation for an audiophile like myself:bawling:
It's been like this for a month and a half, but I hope it will be better soon.

So I have to rely on my wife's saying, that the sound on them is improving.
Sadly, she's always been a liar :D :D

Lars

yeah, in the normal vacuum types you are sucking off all the liquid so that no residue is left. You probably should consider a rinse. Maybe just a bath of RO water with 2 notches in the top and you drop the axle with all the records on it. A turn or 2 by hand then just to rinse?

Fascinating job. I have access to a big ultrasonic bath in work and must try doing a record at some stage and comparing to the vacuum washer I made.

Fran

I have tinnitus in both ears, and I am young.

Go see an audiologist and get your ears checked, I need to do the same. Rumor has it, that sometimes its ear wax compacted against the ear drum.

IMO, even though you cannot hear low level detail quite as much, music can be just as enjoyable. Although disappointing, not the end of the road.

Your rinsing solution is, at the least, hilarious!

IMO you may try spinning those LP's at a high rate of speed ala Loricraft to dry them.

Evan

Did the tinnitus start when you started working with the cleaner?

I find that ultrasonic noise can trigger temporary tinnitus, or even what might be called ultrasonic tinnitus - an inaudibly high frequency 'ringing' which I can still somehow sense, and which partially masks normal sounds.

On another subject, what do you use to machine the acrylic sheet? I can barely cut a straight line in the stuff without cracking it!

dnsey said:
Did the tinnitus start when you started working with the cleaner?

I find that ultrasonic noise can trigger temporary tinnitus, or even what might be called ultrasonic tinnitus - an inaudibly high frequency 'ringing' which I can still somehow sense, and which partially masks normal sounds.

On another subject, what do you use to machine the acrylic sheet? I can barely cut a straight line in the stuff without cracking it!

Hello again dnsey!
I've had this problem for years, but on and off in periods. It's an old damage to my ears while I was working as a mechanic, I believe.
But it has never been as lasting as this time. It started before I finished my cleaner though. I'm not in the same room as the cleaner while it operates, so I won't blame it, but you never know. I have to be aware of it. It never crossed my mind, so thanks guys!
I'll be cautious!

Lars

I thought my record were fairly clean before I washed them in ultrasonic, but how wrong can one get. This is how the vessel looked like after cleaning 20 records. I almost did not believe my eyes :bigeyes:

DSC_0720.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

For awhile ago I bought Plant/ Krauss dobbel album on 180g records, and were so disappointed about the sound. It was so much crackle on it, and had a veil sound. Bad pressing I believe. It got so much better. (even in my ears :xeye: )
And every other records got much quieter. Some of the records will be washed several times. :)

So, I believe this was a huge success :D :D

From a very happy Lars

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.