I Just Got Flamed In The AudioAsylum!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The quote below is the level of conversation currently going on in AudioAsylum/Computer Audio:

"A few months ago I took out an old Shakti Stone. I've never found a component in my system that I've liked these on... they do make things some components sound different... I usually thought they muddied things up. For some reason I plopped it over the front/"mouse" pad of the laptop... and thought things sounded better, tightened up and fuller richer presentation."

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/2/29040.html

:clown:

JimOfOakCreek said:
"A few months ago I took out an old Shakti Stone. I've never found a component in my system that I've liked these on... they do make things some components sound different... I usually thought they muddied things up. For some reason I plopped it over the front/"mouse" pad of the laptop... and thought things sounded better, tightened up and fuller richer presentation."

I guess that's why they call it audio ASYLUM...

;)

I'm late to the game, I know, but when I read about the $500 USB cable I almost spit coffee through my nose.

I honestly wonder how people who are so gullible ever earned the $500 to buy the cable in the first place.

My vote is with taylornate: $5 is too much for a USB cable, much less $500.

Wow. Just, wow.

Gang,

Look everything causes a change in your system. Heck let's start with SPDIF... at first we were using freaken RCA interconnects as digital interconnects between our CD players and dacs. Then we realized that it is truely digital muxtiplexed with a clock and that more detail needed to be applied to the design of the cable. We then realized that an RCA connector cannot be 75 ohms.

We evolved...

That is what is happening with computer audio.

There are a ton of aspects that can create a change in sound with USB cables that have nothing to do with your perceptions listed here.

In more than 26 years of doing Wavelength I have seen allot of Black Magic Audio tweaks. I remember in the bilevel Joe Roberts hauled me over and said look stay away from that guy he is actually selling snake oil as a tweak.

Wake up guys if it was physics then anybody could do this stuff.

Thanks
Gordon

Wavelength said:
Gang,

Look everything causes a change in your system. Wake up guys if it was physics then anybody could do this stuff.

Thanks
Gordon

Gordon I respect your opinion. I would have more respect for you as a professional if you and the other "experts" would allow someone with an opposite opinion post in AA without the flames.

If you want us to believe in Shakti Stones that's fine.

But if someone like me believes that "if you can't measure it, it don't mean ****" then we should be able to post that point of view in AA without harrassment.

Please keep an open mind and consider the 'other side' of the arguement.

Rgeards.....Jim

Boris_The_Blade said:

Look at Page 16.

It has been observed by the inventor and witnesses that
accelerated plant growth can occur using the present invention.

Wonder what kind of plant and how much of that plant was consumed whilst writing the patent? :boggled:

My boss and I once referred that patent to an examiner who was giving us a hard time.

my experience as well

amen they can get really personal and mean spirited at audioasylum.

I for one appreciate the moderators here and the much better manners of nearly all that participate here at diyaudio.

Thank you! thank you!

gulp ahh... I guess that means I need to donate to the cause.

analog_sa said:

Refreshing is the word. Where else would you find so many opinions based on zero first hand experience with actual USB dacs and cables.

But so much common sense :)

Bits are bits! If i don't know what's jitter, no way you can hear it.

I sort of disagree with you. I think the peole here have a lot of expereince including building DACs.

As far as cables go, if you have to buy a $550 cable to make your DAC jitter free then there is something wrong with the USB technology.

JimOfOakCreek said:

As far as cables go, if you have to buy a $550 cable to make your DAC jitter free then there is something wrong with the USB technology.

You finally seem to be getting it.

Yes, there is something wrong with isochronous USB audio transfers (hint: they were never designed for high end audio)

Cables alone can't possibly fix it but they may very well make it sound better.

Regarding the experience in building dacs: how many threads have been started about async usb design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.