I haven't played with class D in a while, are we at PASS level yet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pieter t,

I don´t know the site well at all. I just found it while looking up their RedRocks Audio Class D imPULSE D-200 amp which someone in here recommended it in a post.
Interesting that you have experience with the philips chips. Was it a comparable design to the one they sell with the same chip? -It seems quite cheap...

Class D amplifiers do not get close to the performace of state of the art linear amplifiers, mostly due to limited amount of feedback one can use. The feedback itself is often creating distortion unlike in linear mode amps (non triangular carrier, ripple aliasing).

The purpose of class D is solving real life challanges like efficiency, heat, weight, cost and size instead of imaginary ones like 0.000x% THDs, 100's of V/us slew rate and numerous 'X factors' which might exist but none's ever measured them.

Hi,
..Re-Amen.
How is it that the linearity is better than class AB?
in class D, output amplitude is the result of pwm. in theory can have a very good linearity (if the comparator has a reference signal with linear curve).
but this is impossible if it is self oscillating. while the triangle, at least theoretically possible.
You can do the dc response linearity (if you want).

Regards

Last edited:
So today I had the privilege of hearing a fellow board members audio setup using UCD amplifiers as well as a pass zen5 style amp. Both were very impressive. It leads me to wonder how many people who have picked one side or another on this topic have really sat down a listened to both designs. I have to say there were differences but they both were very good sounding amps but the differences could just come down to personal taste and the design of the rest of the system.

DJNUBZ,

I think you are right regarding people often choose camps due to belief rather than first hand impressions. It would be very helpful if you could elaborate a bit more on the differences you´d heard, although small, they may be interesting. Also as you say, the rest of the system are a very important factor, and some details about the context of the test could be very helpful too.

regards,

Hi,
UCD style certainly has a good answer.
Just to clarify, I do not defend triangle wave or selfoscillant sheme, but the math , physics or electronics.
Concepts, they can not be subjective.
I agree that in addition to being subjective, much depends on the devices that make up the play.

Regards

i have listening for a while on abletec.
and compared it to some god solid state amps on diffrent speaker design. and
with diffrent pres. and I was impressed in how god it was soundig, especially on
elektostatik speakers.
klass d are far better than i thougt, maybe not perfect but that are not
ab design either.

mats

ok, i just read all 26 pages.
i have no answer for the op, but ive learned allot.
i have listened to class D amps ....Bel canto i think (little gray box mono blocks 500W if i remember right.) on joseph audio speakers and psb. i remember i thought i didnt like either speakers at all untill the guy demoing them said i bet i know why, he changed to a nad intergrated low watt and i found the music much more pleasing.
why? i dont know. but i am going to build some class D monos now to see what im learning here. now im curious.
ill be compairing them to anthem amps and diy alephs, on paradigm spekers.
i wonder what ill hear and how that transfers to what i see on a scope?
please forgive spelling no check useing my phone.

Sound travels at approx 345 meters per second in air. When you are listening 2 meters away from the speakers what you hear is not the original signal, it's the original signal with 6 milliseconds of group delay across the audio band (plus other components). Filters (and amplifiers) behave almost in the same way across their pass band. Speakers are much worse because their group delay is not constant.

Is that distortion? Nerd thinking.

Signal does not propagate infinitely fast. Everything adds delay/phase shift.

True but as they say GIGO. The more accurate you can make every part of the system, the better the end result.

How about this for an idea. Instead of just measuring thd+N, we measure thd+n and IMD and phase distortion and temporal/transient distortion and make that a new measurement that takes into account every way a signal can be distorted. We can call it TSD or total signal distortion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.