I have no idea where to even start

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@sreten
Let me rephrase my previous statement. I am not against following designs for crossovers, basic enclosures, and other components. I just don't want to build out of a kit. I want to pick my designs and be able to tinker with them so i can get the sound i am looking for. I am fully aware that there is no way i am going to be able to make stuff by myself. As for the amplifier, that is the part i am having a hard time deciding what to do. That is something that is well beyond my circuitry knowledge. Just a crossover for a 2 driver system is pretty crazy for me. I don't even know how the insides of an instrument amp works :p. I was going to buy an amplifier, or find some sort of kit, rather than following someone else's schematics.

As a pro bass player myself (string and electric) I would suggest looking for a JBL E140. It is a classic 15" bass instrument driver. eBay lists one at $200- right now.
Then go the the JBL enclosure guide to get the cabinet and port volumes... complete with dimensions if you want to use their published shape! Find it here:
www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

Along similar lines, the old E-V TL606 cab builder's plans are still easy to find all over the web and work pretty well for old school bass with a few modern drivers if EVM-15L proves hard to get. I also recommend a look at the fEARful community, especially if a self-built 2 or 3 way system for bass appeals to you. There's a pretty active forum and lots of links and discussion back to some of the links sreten provided.

I've also had decent results modding some of Rod Elliot's ESP project boards for bass preamp usage. His website is a generally useful resource for audio DIY'ers too.

So I've picked out a set of drivers that I hope will provide a good range for a bass cabinet. An eminence bp102 10" and possibly an eminence alpha 6a ( I am not sure if this is the optimal driver to add on the higher frequencies, so if you guys have any better suggestions :D). My problem now is deciding how much power my amp needs and the correct impendence so I don't blow stuff up.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.