I have a 10W SEP tube amp - Now which DIY speaker to build - Advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I wanted to ask you to cast some votes as to which enclosure and driver I should go for!!!

A) Woden vulcan
B) Kirishima manifold horn enclosure

1) FOSTEX FE206-En2 8 inch (EnABL'd from DAve at Planet-10)
2) AUDIO NIRVANA - Super 8 CAST FRAME

I am thinking I'll skip the terminals and use hand braided litz solid core copper cables directly from the amp into the driver.

Any recommendations as to how to best connect the cables to the driver. I am vague on this but I read that adding a couple of components to filter the signal can be advantageous. I should re-iterate...I am a novice!

Currently playing "Double Nickels on the Dime" by the Minutemen...What a fantastic band!

I don't have experience with the double mouth type horns. I did build the RCA-Fan (check audio asylum.com, high efficiency forum) rear horn with the Karlson opening. This enclosure has a lot of slam and bounce for rock music; goes great with Steely Dan/Donald Fagen and bebop jazz. I also built the BIB, which arguably sounded smoother but with less kick. The BIB with the smaller footprint was tucked into the corners so it saved a lot of space. Both speakers easily/effortlessly filled the room with sound. No strain that the smaller frs run into when pushed beyond its limits- easy to do when you want to feel the music.

As far as the 8" suitable for BLH drivers go, I have both the 208Ez and the 206ESr, but I prefer the former. Oh, also the Lowther DX4, which I blew up rather quickly and just sounded thin to begin with, to add insult to the injury.

I use an unbroken run of wire (thin gauge solid core, 47 Labs or Kimber 8TC) straight from my amp to the driver. Connection is with alligator clips as I change wire and drivers constantly. When you build the cabs, you can use plastic tubing in lieu of speaker terminals to route your cables through.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.