I hate violin.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
the problem with just listening to an instrument is that it negates all fundementals that make up that instrument in the first place.

the instrumentalist.

you wont experience or enjoy anything listening to a peice no matter how well manufactered, tuned, or "skilled" the player is.

they need to have soul and passion behind every stroke and slide. life and death, love and hate.

vibrato is just a term for a commonality used by the artists themselves.

violin, viola, cello all the those instrument accentuates the instrumentalists feel since they aren't designed like a guitar where you have "notes"

its takes years of dedication and life to be able to express through an instrument. its a language.

1700$ for an open LP !?!

pooge, very true. But, there are so many great works written for orchestra, and I so much prefer them played by a band. I got to be in a really excellent band in high school, and we played a huge number of great works transcribed to band. I believe that woodwinds are capable of being more powerful than a violin and also emoting at least as much. Also, listening to ourselves play is so much more enjoyable than hearing violin. But of course every classical LP I own is orchestral...

Here is an example. The 1812 overture. everywhere the music should be making your hackles stand, It just sounds like the ranks of strings are falling short in every capacity. When the two french horns enter and are easily louder, more in tune, and crisper and cleaner than all of the strings, It makes me wonder who would waste their time recording strings.

My favorite string work is the acoustic version of fade to black, which is mainly cellos and one violin i believe. It is very very cool, and I think you should look for it.

$1700 makes me think forgery would very viable here...

There was a Japanese-done reissue released some years back and these currently sell in the $800 range.

A Columbia classical LP?! What drives this? Most every Columbia classical in my collection is a multi-mic disaster and new releases of old labels destroyed the market for antique vinyl as I understand it. Perfomance?

This is a British Columbia which was actually part of EMI. A very different animal than CBS, beautifully recorded. Even imported versions of this label, sold here as Angel, aren't a patch on these wonderful Columbias. The performance is outstanding, regarded as the best and the recordings are rare, in a real sense (not eBay-rare), hence the collector's value.

John

Scottmoose said:
cellos and guitars are more my thing if an instrument has to have strings

What about a piano? They have strings.

I have nothing against violins, but prefer cellos and violas (viloi?). Now saxaphones, on the other hand, especially in rock (think E-street band era Bruce Springsteen), they more often detract from the music than contribute to it.

Max

Oh! How can this instrument be disliked???

It is my favourite, besides voice of course...I play voice but I can't play violin...too old to learn maybe...who knows?

I have to agree, though, that when my little daughter tried to study it and brought home a violin to practice, I wanted to burn all of my musical equipment, so unbelievably warm and full of armonics sounded it, compared to my system :bawling:
A further sting to learn electronics and DIY to reproduce this instrument like it deserves...

A second the mate that recommended listening to Oistrakh: wonderful robust and warm tone; magnificent legato; elegant phrasing...etc

Youtube-->Oistrakh . I was there yesterday :cool:

Cheers,
M

Sometimes I like violins, depends on what's holding them..

jp.jpg

hate violin???
what? whats wrong with you?
violin is an awsome instrument. and is even more rad in an orchestra, multiple violins ringing out, each musician with there own style and approach, creating a sound so full and intense its amazing.
All i can say is if you dont like violin, i dont think you've listened to music yet.

Poor attack? um, staccato.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.