• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I found some old tubes. Can I use those?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

At first I must say that I haven't never before play with tubes so teach me like little boy. :)

I pick up some old tubes from old TV which laying in dustbin so I wonder if I can use those in some simple amplifier, at least I hope so.
Even some old fashion DIY radio would be nice to do if possible.

I'm not sure about every models because signs was partly vanished.

Tubes:
Tungram (or something):
PCL 85
PCL 86

Telefunken:
PCL 805
PCC 89 (I guess)

Philips:
PCF 200
PCL 84
PCF 80
EF 183
ECH 84

Is there some disadvantages to use old tubes?

:whacko:

They are all TV valves. They have various heater voltages, but all have 300mA heater current. That's the disadvantage.

PCL85: Was designed for Field deflection oscillator and output. Can be used for power regulator or audio (at a push).
PCL86: Nice Audio triode pentode.
PCL805: Close to PCL85
PCC89: Variable mu RF amplifier double triode - limited use.
PCF200: Also used in TV tuners. Oscillator / mixer - limited use
Are you sure this isn't a PFL200?

PCL84: Triode pentode used as video amplifier (do a search, this one was discussed last year)
PCF80: as PCF200, but not equivalent
EF183: Variable mu IF amplifier pentode - very limited use
ECH84: My favourite! Triode heptode. Used in sync separator and horizontal oscillator / AFC circuits. Fabulous valve akin to a dual gate mosfet. probably useless for audio :xeye:

Quick answer... thanks.
So will summary be that, maybe PCL84, , PCL85, PCL86 and ECH84 can be used to some nice amplfier?

I must start to use google to search additional material about these. .:cheeky:

Because these tubes are old ones will they be too old? I mean that are they vanished too much? Or even can tubes vanished like normal bulbs?

Sorry my poor english!!! :clown:

Yes, they do age with use, but can last forever "on the shelf".
You can get a good indication of use with the triode-pentodes (PCL's) by seeing how much black staining there is on the inside of the glass. After much use they have dirty stains.

I don't know any use for the ECH84, but maybe someone can suggest one :eek:

When you search, also search for "ECL" The only difference is the heater requirements: Eg ECL86 is the same as PCL86 except heater voltage and current.

Here is a thread about ECL84:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15651&highlight=

Considering that Finnish grammar is 10,000 miles from European grammar, your English is very good :)

Shine = good

The "shiny stuff" is evaporated barium.
It's called "gettering", and has come from a small round or square "halo" looking object; the "getter ring".
After the valve was pumped to a near vacuum, the "getter" was fired using an RF heater to red-white heat, and the barium evaporated. The barium gettering has an affinity for gasses it finds, thus the vacuum remains "hard".
You may see a black edge to the gettering. That is where it is doing it's work.
If the gettering is used up, due to atmospheric gas leaking in, it goes white.

Hi ,

About PCF80 , it’s a triode / pentode , and you can do a very
simple power amplifier , using the pentode as a voltage amplifier
and the triode as a concertina phase inverter , driving a pair of
EL34 or 6L6 ( or anothers ... ) connected in push-pull .
It’s is a very simple and reliable design . ( Dynaco style )
I can send the basic design , if you want .

About ECH84 , it was used in the 50’s , in some cinema tube
amplifiers ( European made ) , as a phase inverter and driver amp,
driving a pair of EL34 , connected in push-pull .
The design is very unusual , because this is not the main function
of this tube ( AFC / local oscilator and frequency changer in super-heterodyne radio / TV receiver ) and I can not say anything about sound quality connected in the way above . ( I think that was acceptable )

Regards ,

Carlos

In old TV sets, all those heaters of the P-series tubes were run in series from the mains, usually with some series resistor. I would recommend taking heater supply from a transformer secondary (although I'm not sure if wiring heaters in this way is really hazardous like taking B+ directly from mains but it's better to be on a safe side).

If you are willing to do some work with the heater supply, then at least PCL86 is a very nice and good-sounding tube, it is like 1/2 of a PCC83 and a degraded PL84 in same bottle. Most of these tubes are same as E-series with same suffix (ECL86 for instance) but for the heater voltage. You can find European tube numbers here: http://www.tubedata.org/tubnum.html

Terveisiä Ouluun, täällä etelässäkin on lunta!

Edit: just in case you didn't know there is a Finnish language tube forum (and webstore) at http://www.uraltone.com/ (I have no connection to them except as a satisfied customer)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.