I dream to DIY "Wharfedale Airedale Heritage", please help me

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dream to DIY "Wharfedale Airedale Heritage", please help me

So, It (Airedale Heritage) is my DIY loudspeaker project in dream but I don't know any schema and speaker components (driver, crosscover...) for DIY it
Who can help me now, please.
Thank you so much
Nguyen Anh
mail: bui.nguyen.anh@gmail.com
YM: bui_nguyen_anh

Attachments

• preview_1.jpg
    preview_1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 817
Well, there's enough info in the product brochure here to design a clone from:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/images/ranges/brochure_24.pdf?PHPSESSID=4ccc6bf4ccc154534e2b6692d6a39ad4

But I think it would be expensive (especially if you want to use Alnico drivers), and huge, ~ 180 litres.....and as a 5 way difficult to implement

I think you could get as good a result with modern drivers in smaller cabinets, (but it wouldn't look as impressive...:)

I guess the starting point is to decide what drivers that can give a similar response will suit your budget.
a 15", 8", 3" mid dome, 2x 1" tweeters & a super tweeter per side...:eek:

Alnico is the type of magnet used on the speaker, not a brand name, very hard to find nowadays.
If you want to make an exact copy, Wharfedale make their own drivers, if you bought drivers from them (assuming they were available) I'd imagine they wouldn't cost much less than buying the Airedale.

So, if you're rich, buy the Airdales, if not (like most of us) decide your budget and build a clone. This means finding speakers within your budget that will give the same performance as the originals. I'd suggest looking at SEAS and Peerless drivers as a good place to start.

I am thank very much for yours suggestions
what is exactly do I want?

I want to DIY the speaker with 3 ways (or 2 ways):
big bass/midde driver (25-30cm) is the same type of Airedale
I think what the Airedale's sound is quite natural, nearly show 100% signal source (we ignore amp and cdp, an suppose).
Yes, the sound natural, is the quality sound what I dream, like to Wharfedale Airedale
I am not rich, sure, but I want DIY the speaker like that, the same as you say: "This means finding speakers within your budget that will give the same performance as the originals"
I am newbie, so can you help me to choice one or two speaker's design (diagram, driver, crossover, cabinet...etc) in forum what audiophiles did DIY and it is very natural sound (comments writted)
Again, I am thank you so much
Langtuhanoi

Alnico is the type of magnet used on the speaker, not a brand name, very hard to find nowadays.
If you want to make an exact copy, Wharfedale make their own drivers, if you bought drivers from them (assuming they were available) I'd imagine they wouldn't cost much less than buying the Airedale.

So, if you're rich, buy the Airdales, if not (like most of us) decide your budget and build a clone. This means finding speakers within your budget that will give the same performance as the originals. I'd suggest looking at SEAS and Peerless drivers as a good place to start.

Nguyen Anh,
Lan dau tien thay co nguoi viet nam trong forum nay, welcome!

As PeteMcK already mentioned, obtaining the drivers would probably expensive since they look like proprietary drivers. (to me)
The brochure, however reveal quite a bit of the design philosophy and specs. I'd suggest that if you're sought after the natural, big sound like such speakers, but do not have measurement capabilities to make your own. Go ahead and build a set designed by one of our experienced hobbyists.

True to the signal/natural, imo = low in distortion drivers + flat response .

Take a look at some of these designers:

zaphaudio.com
humblehomemadehifi.com
troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

they have well documented projects and they do discuss their design philosophies well enough for average Joes like me to understand.

BTW, how do you intend to source drivers? I'd imagine it would be quite expensive to ship there.

Hihi,
Chao bac sqlkev
Co nhieu nguoi Vietnam vao day phet bac a, co the la chua viet bai hoac lay nick tieng anh thoi, chuc bac va ca nha vui ve
I think ProAc 2.5 design what many audiophile has choice
Is it good? but Who can help me to search the best design for ProAc 2.5 (100% or better than original...)
Thank you so much

Originally posted by
Nguyen Anh,
Lan dau tien thay co nguoi viet nam trong forum nay, welcome!

As PeteMcK already mentioned, obtaining the drivers would probably expensive since they look like proprietary drivers. (to me)
The brochure, however reveal quite a bit of the design philosophy and specs. I'd suggest that if you're sought after the natural, big sound like such speakers, but do not have measurement capabilities to make your own. Go ahead and build a set designed by one of our experienced hobbyists.

True to the signal/natural, imo = low in distortion drivers + flat response .

Take a look at some of these designers:

zaphaudio.com
humblehomemadehifi.com
troelsgravesen.dk/Diy_Loudspeaker_Projects.htm

they have well documented projects and they do discuss their design philosophies well enough for average Joes like me to understand.

BTW, how do you intend to source drivers? I'd imagine it would be quite expensive to ship there.

Hi Langtuhanoi

Have you considered the Ariels?
These are one of the best Diy speakers available for a long time.
I really enjoy mine after all these years. MTM's, two way in a tower
or just simple enclosures much smaller.
It's worth to take a look at them....

Brett,
The challenger series look to be better quality than the HP15w, but I think they don't have low enough Fs, they're all around the low 40s, HP15w is ~35 Hz, probably still not low enough.

The Airdale goes down to 25Hz, so we need a 15" driver that is efficient, has largish Vas, and will go that low.

I once had a similar dream to Langtuhanoi about the old Tannoy York Cab, I ended up choosing the 10" Peerless 850146, which would be perfect for this application, but unfortunately is no longer available....

Langtuhanoi, an alternative to 1x 15" woofer would be to use 2x 10" woofers, for Hi Fi these are probably easier to get, and would give the same surface area as a single 15".

Most 15" speakers available seem to be for PA or Car Subs, not really suitable :dead:
(I'm sure someone will prove me wrong)
Pete McK

langtuhanoi,

The Airedale design is follows the old 1950s/60s way of doing things, that was what they had to do to get deep response in those days.
Many modern drivers are much better, so you can get as good or better response in a smaller driver compared to many of the old drivers (some will disagree of course...).
Most people (or their wives) prefer smaller cabinets nowadays, another reason why 15" isn't common in home audio.

So don't get stuck on a 15" driver...(of course a smaller one won't LOOK as impressive ;) )

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.