I don't usually post anything personal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very well done.

I guess I am one of the population who really does not understand how much was involved in reaching that lofty state although I did have an uncle who lectured at one of the many Universities in Philadelphia. I think his doctorate was in nuclear physics and he was involved in research into the use of radio isotopes in medicine. He still succumbed to cancer though.
jamikl

thanks all. what i know now is that the adrenaline is gone, and i'm exhausted.

Couple of tough questions. The first was really regarding what the metal-oxide-metal surface state is for a newly formed, intermittent electro-mechanical contact. In order for it to be even intermittent, there has to be some removal of the oxide (no tunneling). Whether that oxide reforms very quickly and shuts the contact down again isn't something I was able to prove, but was suggested by the data.

The second, whether the migration energy of a single kink dislocation is half that of a double. i said yes in my presentation, but couldn't back it up under questioning. I'll have to check Hirth and Lothe on that one.

For a metal? Almost none at realistic pressures. Once you reach geological type pressures, the resistance goes almost to zero. For an electromechanical contact, the conductance is proportional to the contact diameter in the Maxwell limit, and proportional to the diameter squared in the ballistic (Sharvin) limit. (again for a metal-metal contact)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
P.S. Hey Thomas, I'm not too worried about Texas and Texans, my brother lives in Spring, so I have some idea. Besides, Vermont was it's own, independent, republic when Texas was still part of Mexico!

I worked at the Digital Equipment plant in Westfield MA and lived near Springfield (Basketball Hall of Fame town) 'n did a lot of horseback trail ride camp out's up in VT. My kid brother still works in Heartford Ct. Did we go over this info once right after you were laid off?? I hope that worked out - or is working out - for you. Looking for a good job in this economy is @#$@$!$...

Hey Thomas, yeah we discussed some of this right after I got laid off, but I had forgotten that you have family in CT.

I am still unemployed, though I can't say I have been the most ambitious in finding new employment.

I think we are getting off topic just a wee bit.:)

Peace,

Dave

P.S. it appears that you have taken the George Strait route in regards to Texas.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I think we are getting off topic just a wee bit.:)
Peace,
Dave
P.S. it appears that you have taken the George Strait route in regards to Texas.

Oops! My bad - I forgot that I wasn't over on ZM's off-topic thread!! :whip:

Soooooo - OK - back OT - does George have a Phd???? :D:D:D

Shucks! I went and checked out Georges web-site - no Phd listed - and the really bad news????? I'm OLDER than he is!!!! :geezer:

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.