I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it quite curious that even accomplished technical designers like Ben Duncan can make such a goof. I mean, it is very, very basic that when you have an attenuator made from a series reactive element (L or C) and a resistive element, that the phase shift changes with the value of the resistor (or the L or C). I really have a hard time to understand they fell into that trap.
jd

Now that you mention "phase shift changes with the value of the resistor", what would the effect of speaker drivers be on the other end of the cable?

Now that you mention "phase shift changes with the value of the resistor", what would the effect of speaker drivers be on the other end of the cable?
Don't forget the crossover network :D Unless it was to quote Kef "conjugate load matched" i'd expect the reactance would send the impedance all over the place.

Must admit that they did kind of shoot themselves in the foot by changing the load resistor :rolleyes:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Its one of the sources of audible cable differences with 'boutique' cables. You can design a cable such that the effect is exaggerated, or possibly suppressed, so there is an audible difference, and naturally one cable will 'sound better'. ;)
And yes, you can also 'steer' which is the one that sounds better. :D

jd

....to support the notion of mind control.

I can see 'mind control' being a necessity for otherwise impossible correct choices, but why for a null result?
Re: the citation, I couldn't confirm Meyer's anecdote. Most citations deal with cultural and ethnic differences. There was an interesting paper on the connection between self-esteem and performance as affected by immediate feedback in reasoning testing. Telling subjects in a social context they're delusional beforehand isn't covered.

Its one of the sources of audible cable differences with 'boutique' cables. You can design a cable such that the effect is exaggerated, or possibly suppressed, so there is an audible difference, and naturally one cable will 'sound better'. ;)

I would say the cables with lower, more consistent delays should sound better. I would like to see more information on the cables used to compare with my testing.

And yes, you can also 'steer' which is the one that sounds better. :D
jd

Possible yes, not so easy if you know what you want though. :)

Nor is any other aspect of a DBT. :confused:

Assume a fictional subject capable of scoring correctly to a statistically significant degree in a cable DBT. Is it possible in principle for this subject to intentionally throw the results? Memorize a sequence of coin flips, pseudo-random make up answers on the fly, reverse 30% to drop the correct answers below significance; possible in principle? If so, why not subconsciously?

Assume a fictional subject capable of scoring correctly to a statistically significant degree in a cable DBT. Is it possible in principle for this subject to intentionally throw the results? Memorize a sequence of coin flips, pseudo-random make up answers on the fly, reverse 30% to drop the correct answers below significance; possible in principle? If so, why not subconsciously?

In principle, it's possible for the test subject to grab a gun, shoot me in the kneecaps, then hold me hostage until he gets the answer sheet. My police whistle will not help me.

I seriously doubt that the lack of any significant results from the folks claiming non-mundane cable differences is the result of them taking a dive. The attempted connection to subconscious is a textbook example of handwaving. No more evidence than the mind control ray hypothesis.

bloody hell.

just looked at that propellor head thread, only managed a little before my eyes glazed over. Err, anyone else ever get the idea of someone trying desperately to convince by sheer overwhelm rather than substance?

Good to see tubeguy still doing research...tho personally I'd rather he do what we urge and practice than reading more guff about how cables manage to sound different.

Less reading, more listening I say!! haha

Still, despite that abundance of overwhelming evidence Jon Risch seems to have bookmarked like a squirrel on amphetamines, we (or at least I) are still left with the continuing observation...just how totally fragile the effect is and that it all too easily vanishes.

Why bother with cables?

Why don't we just get to the point.

Where does Jon Risch live?? SY you and he both being the luminaries in audio that you are, surely you are good buddies from way back?? (or someone here must be...John Curl maybe??)

His ears are quite obviously attuned to the subtle effects, look your old pal up SY and get him to agree to a test! Surely one of you guys are mates with him, let's get Jon (as standard bearer) to do the test.

A successful test from John would send ripples thru the community, he may be as influential in this community as fremer is to the other community??

So now, even if people fail tests, they did it on purpose, even if sub-consciously?

Good to see you've got all the excuse bases covered.

Even if you utilize prodigious lexicon bloat , to accommodate obfuscated comprehension and necessitating repeated perusal, no point, is still no point.

BTW, Dan Shanefield´s comment/reasoning is a bit strange; maybe SY could tell if he used Loudspeakers- afair he thinks polarity was easy to detect double blind.
What is strange about his reasoning? That for some strange reason, audio science is particularly prone to delusion? That the burden of proof rests on the claimers? What exactly?
It is clear that he used speakers. He noted the effect was very difficult to hear with music and only when using (poor or audiophile type) speakers with enough asymmetrical distortion.

He it wasn´t me who said that this "scientific blind testing" is an easy task.
But you see, here we have a paradox Jakob.
You know how to conduct a proper, robust blind test. You have done so (according to you). You have plenty of subjects with superb (self assessed) listening abilities, who can "hear" these Witch Effects with wires, caps, stones, pucks and lord knows what else (there really is no physical limitation). So where are these tests? Why can't we see the results? Can't you do one now for "wire effects"? Look how many desperate people you have here grasping at straws, when you have the Holy Grail in your possession?
Why is that? Seems a bit odd, to say the least.

The 'mind control' repetition is starting to sound AJ-ish.
Hold on now, negative waves may have "influence" (according to the believers), but "control"? :confused:

Surely one of you guys are mates with him, let's get Jon (as standard bearer) to do the test.
A successful test from John would send ripples thru the community
Terry, you must have missed it.
The good news is, Jon has already conducted robust "Blind" tests, where he not only "heard" wires, but "heard" specifics, such as dielectric materials (no joke).
The bad news is, that these results will not be declassified until either the next century (where humans will have hopefully have evolved enough as to be open minded to this sort of revelation), or, when E.T. returns to earth. Whichever comes first.

So now, even if people fail tests, they did it on purpose, even if sub-consciously?

Good to see you've got all the excuse bases covered.
Did you notice the date on Dr Shanefield's "Witch Effect" article (over 20yrs ago)? Did you notice the particular excuses on the excuse-o-meter he was anticipating (no switches, "disinterested" tester, etc, etc.) ? Do you notice, today's date...and how much has changed ;).

cheers,

AJ

Status
Not open for further replies.