I don't believe cables make a difference, any input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so crazy, really. Fifteen years and 50 pounds ago when I was involved in competitive cycling, I experienced exactly what you are talking about when riding time trials.

Just got back from a casual 50k fixie ride. ;) Micheal Shermer writes about his similar x10 experience as a RAMM rider. If I recall he was into alien visitations and abduction paranoia by day two on the bike.
In my experience at high stress levels people shut down, panic and freeze. Stress is a well know tinnitus trigger so it's hardly pixie dust to raise the potential of a connection.

Gosh, is that what 'we all said'? Do you need 'we all' to sing from the same song book for comprehension? Honestly, some of you express a perspective on a disparate group of individuals that makes question if the end of your driveways aren't lit by little painted ceramic audiophiles holding aloft a 300B. And you expect to be taken seriously?

que? Hang, let me make sure here (as you seem to be particularly sensitive to me misrepresenting things...one of my hates to btw so please, always pick me up if I do ok?) I made the accusation that was 'all you said'???

Yet, what I actually wrote was we have been told repeatedly recently that dbts CANNOT be passed by their very design!!

Hmm. And it is you that accuses me of misrepresentation?

Have I especially managed to **** you off RDF? If so, sorry. I value the reasoned contributions of yours..well at times they are, sometimes like this you accuse me of the things you are actually doing,...but nonetheless I apologise for hwatever it is I have done.

In any case, back to the essential point here, do you now disagree that recently some (most particularly john curl) have explicitly stated that they need to see the cable to hear the cable? and that dbt by it's nature cannot be passed? If so, does that NOT fly against what was written by dbe (I think it was)???

If the above is true, then help me out here. What did I say that was incorrect?

Maybe you can put a sense of order into it. Are dbt's doomed or do they have a place?

tHEY CAN BE PASSED OR NEVER CAN BE PASSED. (****, sorry)

We can determine scientifically or not that cables are audible or not.

We have had polar opposite views on all of that in the last few pages.

Seems you may be the only one who can work it out for us?

I admit I can't, so you have already won that debating point before you start (congrats)

Then perhaps you need to put the cart before the horse, learn as much about blind tests as you can, reassess whether psychological factors were actually eliminated from your casual listening, then see if things are still as unexplainable as you believe.

FFS Dude.
My response was aimed at SY who it seems to me to be somewhat of an expert in DBT. So RELATIVE to him, I "dont know much about blind tests". Since he was the one asking I decided it was worth being as humble on that point as possible.
(Do you EVER consider things in context?)

However!! I know enough about psychology and creating a variety of tests OTHER than DBT to know when psychology is an influence.
Creating tests that minimize/eliminate the psycological impact happens to be something my profession deals alot with. In physiology, especially as it relates to human performance, the whole Mind/Body relationship is kinda foundational.

Will you seriously get off it now? I know it may be a little difficult for someone like you, who clearly has all the answers, to understand this. But some of us out here and in other fields do have a few synapses firing.

Last edited:
I doubt very seriously that you will find anyone that has purchased cables that are unhappy with their purchases. They would have returned them if they were not happy with them don't you think ;)
Yeah, you would think. I offer a 100% money back guarantee on all of my products. I do not make power cords for retail sale anymore just for personal use and select customers that will not buy anything else. You would think ajinfla would be a little more current on his slights. I have had 1 refund in my last 223 transactions.

Dave

Just got back from a casual 50k fixie ride. ;) Micheal Shermer writes about his similar x10 experience as a RAMM rider. If I recall he was into alien visitations and abduction paranoia by day two on the bike.
In my experience at high stress levels people shut down, panic and freeze. Stress is a well know tinnitus trigger so it's hardly pixie dust to raise the potential of a connection.

Fixed gear is not for the faint of heart. I had a track bike for about 3 months some years ago. The lack of brakes coupled with New Mexico drivers was a little too much for me to handle. I had a wife and 2 daughters to provide for. Somehow it makes even less sense now that I can barely push this once athletic frame up the hills anymore. I am loving my mountain bike with street tires :D

I keep threatening to get back in shape and then the pain comes. I loved being in shape, but at my old age I HATE getting in shape. The 300 mile weeks are just a memory... I think.

The RAAM guys were my idols. I remember talking to Pete Pensyres and asking him what it took to do that ride year after year. He told me that it was helpful to be off your anti-psychotic medications for a month or two. I think he was only half kidding.

Physical and psychological stress is a field that is revealing much more data now due to PTSD and other stressors prevalent in our culture. It is amazing to me just how little it takes to skew perception.

Dave

I offer a 100% money back guarantee on all of my products. I do not make power cords for retail sale anymore just for personal use and select customers that will not buy anything else. You would think ajinfla would be a little more current on his slights.
What slight? Forgive me for not being current on what cables you sell Dave. My main interest is in products that can be shown to audibly affect sound waves.

I have had 1 refund in my last 223 transactions.
Then you are indeed reaping from what opinions you have sown. Congrats.

Is strenuous athletic activity, which can stress your body/mind to the point of hallucination, really relevant to sitting in a comfortable chair, with a beer, listening to music? Even if someone keeps asking you questions about what you hear?

And seriously, if the differences are so small that a little stress obscures them, will I be able to enjoy my shiny new cables when I have had a crappy day at work, or my wife is pissed off? How relaxed will have to be to enjoy their addition to my system?

Your state of mind is very important, (in my experience) to the enjoyment of music. But, this whole 'stress of listening' thing seemed kinda specious from the beginning. This trend of trying to link it to the effects of endorphin and adrenalin addled athletes, at a state of near exhaustion, is just silly.

Eric

This whole stress thing seems selective to me. From what I have read about it some people do much better under stress or in testing and some do worse. I have always been a person that does better in testing than in everyday busy work - at least in school - because it somehow seemed more "real" to me when taking a test than during the normal week when you were expected to just repeat something you have learned over and over.

If it is in fact a big issue with this situation then why not use someone who is more on the fence? Or basically someone who isn't invested in the outcome because they haven't bought expensive cables or sworn to hear a difference. There has to be someone besides me who is in the "I don't know" camp.

I remember talking to Pete Pensyres....
Didn't Pensyres start the whole 'cycling risks male impotency' thing? The general press latched onto it, ignoring little details like finishing his grueling weekly training regimen by taking a 400 mile detour on his Friday ride home from work. For me the 70+ four man team event is a constant inspiration. That's because if you were still competing 15 years ago I'm probably on the wrong side of your age. Front brakes are my friend, I'm not crazy.
BTW, I can't help but sense there's some hidden history between you and AJ, as if not all details or parts expressed. :D

Eric, a bad day at work can ruin a good meal. Magnitude of the effect is a good point, and DBTs so far do make a statement about it. 'Is there an effect' comes before 'is the effect worth the bother'. The latter is a value judgment. To bore once again with what some claim is the care required for a proper DBT, from Brad Meyer's talk to the Boston Audio Society:

"Preconceptions affect perception and conclusions [in other words, not only is seeing believing, but believing is also seeing-Ed.], hence the need for single blindness. Double-blind testing is required because the tester almost invariably (and unpredictably) influences the test subject(s). One of many well-known examples occurred when a group of psychology students tested many subjects for IQ. The subjects were impartially tested for IQ beforehand, and then sorted into two groups with similar IQ ranges. The testers were told that group A was exceptionally intelligent while group B was not. For each group, the testers were to read the same script while administering the test. The result was that the group touted as smart to the test-givers scored statistically significantly better than the group labeled stupid. Somehow the testers conveyed their expectations about performance while reading the same instructions to the two groups, and the groups responded to the cues."

Didn't Pensyres start the whole 'cycling risks male impotency' thing? The general press latched onto it, ignoring little details like finishing his grueling weekly training regimen by taking a 400 mile detour on his Friday ride home from work. For me the 70+ four man team event is a constant inspiration. That's because if you were still competing 15 years ago I'm probably on the wrong side of your age. Front brakes are my friend, I'm not crazy.
BTW, I can't help but sense there's some hidden history between you and AJ, as if not all details or parts expressed. :D
Yep. The penile numbness that accompanies poor position and too many miles is not funny. I had a transitory case (2 weeks) that had my wife looking at me very strangely. Thankfully, for Gayle and I both, it was only a temporary condition. There have been cyclists that have suffered permanent damage. Bummer :dead:

I used to get a kick out of Doc Westphal riding 40K time trials when he was over 80. I always thought that a great way to go would be to be hit from behind by a semi as I crossed the finish line with my arms over my head at age 100. May be still...

Ajinfla and I have a history that goes back for years. If you accept the circular continuum theory, he and I are on opposite sides. That would be in the experience, opinion and demeanor areas. I just don't understand the hate and derision parts in his portion of the circle.

Toodles,

Dave

How was the IQ test not double blind in exactly the same way as your proposed test with TG?

we went over this last time you posted it. and you got all huffy about it, decided you no longer wanted to discuss it.

and now you bring it back?

Is that why you got the shites with me?? Cause I took you up on it last time??

The knowledge had by the testers affected the outcome from the testees, which is why he used the example.

To show how results/tests gets mucked up, and why we need it double blind.

It would have been double blind if the "experiment" didn't know which students were supposed to be smart and which ones were supposed to be dumb. Meyers' entire point was that the "double" part was missing.

hope you have better luck than I did with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.